WWYD?

What would you do if your fifth grade child came home with a note from school saying he/she received a note from 2 students that said something mean? Due to school shootings the district won't allow parents or any adults on school property except in their car to pick up students. So the mother of the child targeted can't request a meeting. The school is handling it requesting both students to write a letter of apology to the targeted child. Is that an appropriate and satisfying solution if it was your child? Would you request something more?

Asked by admckenzie at 9:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'd request to see the original note & go from there.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I'd have to see the note. Is it a death threat? A racial slur? or "You smell!"? It makes a difference. I cannot imagine a school that completely prohibits face to face meetings with teachers and administration. Sounds pretty radical.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• What did the notes say?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Honestly, school shootings or otherwise, I'd still demand a meeting. If it couldn't take place on school property, then the teacher or other staff nvolved would have to meet me somewhere else. I understand not letting people run in and out of the school all day, but meetings between parents and staff have to be accommodated somehow.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• they can't schedule meetings with parents now?
    WHAT?!

My answer would depend on what the notes actually said
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I would demanding a meeting.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2013