Is there anyone who ever been in an abusive relationship before?

.. what gave you the courage to get out of the relationship?

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in Relationships

• having had enough, being done with the bullshit and tired of being controlled, tired of needing permission to talk to friends and my own family. tired of being a puppet.

he came home from work one day and his shit was all over the lawn. i had my mom there because he didnt have the balls to cause a scene with her there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• *should add, it wasn't a physically abusive relationship (yet). he would destroy my things when i pissed him off but he never hurt me physically. IF it is a physically abusive relationship, have the police there when you leave/throw him out.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I imagined how my life would be in 6 months after
    simple things
    a sunny kitchen, (without being on edge when he walked into the room)
    chatting with friends and (not having to explain things to him , defend myself for things i did not do)
    getting a good night's sleep (without worrying if he will wake 'needing' to blame me for nothing and start a fight)
    knowing that i would never walk on egg shells again
    knowing i would never have to defend myself for things he made up just so he could fight

imagine your life after you leave him, not on the leaving- that will fall into place
    picture in your mind peace, calm, and no eggshells
    Anonymous

• I'm not in an abusive relationship right now but I was 2 years ago and I feel so relieved that I left!!! <3
    CandieGirl09

Comment by CandieGirl09 (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Seeing someone else actually stand up to him, and how quickly he backed down when that happened.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• My son is quiet, sweet and gentle. I didn't want him to ruin my son.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Getting flat fed up. Deciding that no matter what happened, there was life out there somewhere worth living, and I was going to find it and claim it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Taking too much crap and knowing it could get better.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I grew up with a verbally, mentally and emotionally abusive single father. Once I moved out of the house I vowed to NEVER allow myself to be in another situation like that again.

My ex and I were married for only 6 months when he left his one and only bruise on me, on my 21st birthday. Being true to myself, I walked out his door and into a lawyer's office. The possessive-abusive asshole had pulled a bait and switch on me. He was really sweet and all that BEFORE I married him. He turned into an HUGE asshole after I married him.

When I make promises I keep them; even if they're to myself.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I am currently working on one now. My husband is living with his mother and I am still home with the kids. I am trying to be optimistic that he will change, but after 10 years, it's hard to believe he will. I told him this is his last chance. He screws this up and I am done.
    I decided to change things when he decided it would be a good idea to shove me and yell at me in front of our kids. That's where I drew the line. It was by no means the first time he had yelled at me or shoved me, but it was the first time he had done so in front of the kids.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2013