I hate my pediatrician....

My son [8 months] has been sick for about 2 weeks now. He's been on and off with a 101 fever, throwing up, diahreea, stuffy nose, a horrible cough....the whole 9 yards. Well I called the pediatrician's office and they said "well...there are a few bugs going around" and I was like well should I bring him in? and they told me "you can if you really want but like I said, its going around" I mean this poor child can hardly nurse because his nose is so stuffy, he refuses to eat solids [which he loves], and he's been sleeping terribly. I mean, I don't want to take him to the doctor if its going to INCONVEIENCE them...What do you think I should do??

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Who cares what an Inconvienence it is to them!!!!! They are getting paid! Take him in , or get another PED. Don't EVER care about how someone else feels if you take your kid into the DR, just care about your kid and getting him better!!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 9:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Instead of calling and asking if you should bring your child in, could you just call and make an appt.? I have to do this a lot. If you think he should be seen, then he should be seen. There is no match for a mother's instincts. If you can't just call and make an appt with out too much discussion, I'd seriously consider going to a different practice. Good Luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I guess if you think he needs to be seen then bring him in. But if it's a virus there is little the can do for it.
    For the stomach flu there is nothing they can do unless you think your child is getting dehydrated... in which case they could admit to the hospital and give IV fluids.
    As far as the "cold" symptoms.... it might be an infection antibiotics could fix... but there are many viral things like RSV, Influenza, viral pneumonia and just the common cold that are going around and there is nothing you can do for an 8 month old other than make them comfy.
    Use saline drops in his nose and use a bulb sucker to suck out the gunk
    Humidifier in his room
    Elevate his crib matress
    Give Tylenol and or Motrin (they can BOTH be given at the same time if needed) for fever and discomfort
    Watch for signs of dehydration and signs of trouble breathing (pulling in of the skin on the neck and chest)
    Hope he feels better soon
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:03 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• if you are that concerned i would A) take him in, B)FIND A NEW DR! Also keep in mind though that it could be teething. i doubt it if its that bad, but my daughter is teething and she gets all the same symptoms. Also, i have been in your shoes, i hate my ped too so we are going to my family dr. My daughter was sick with a cold for 2 weeks and they said it was nothing. the poor girl couldnt beath, and i would wake to her having HUGH green snot boogies dried to her nose so she could not get ANY air at all. So i broke down and gave her tylenol with cold. It says for 48lbs and over to give 10ML and I only give her .5ML its so little, but it helps her alot! thank God she hasnt been sick for a long time but if i dont give her that she cant breath. It sucks that some Bi%^$ ruined it for us good moms who wouldnt over dose our children to get baby stuff of the market! Good luck i hope he feels better soon! and you too!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• CHANGE DOCS!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on Feb. 16, 2009