Getting to School

If your school stopped busing, how would your kids get to school?

Our district is having a very rough time financially and the stupid voters out here refuse to renew the operating levy, and among the drastic changes they are making for the 2013-2014 school year is to stop busing for students in 9-12 grades.

Our state (Ohio) only requires busing for K-8 grades if student lives more than 2 miles from school, so they are perfectly in their rights to do so, but I can't help but to feel really bad for students who don't drive and parents who have to work.

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 7:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2013 in

• A high school student should be capable of getting themselves to school. There's public transportation and the two thing at the bottom of their legs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I lived in the country & walked when it was nice. There's also bicycles, quads , getting rides from friends. I would drive mine though. My brother lives about four miles from his hs, he rides his quad, dirtbike or my mom takes him.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• We homeschool so thankfully it would never be an issue for us.

And you shouldn't assume public transportation is an option for everyone. We live in a rural area, 8 miles from the high school. We do not have an public transportation, 16 miles a day walking is ridiculous, and my kids wouldn't be riding their bike on a 4 lane highway to get to school.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Well, you are going to have ti figure out something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I guess you will have to figure it out. Your school districts situation is not unique, a lot of schools in northern ohio operate that way. Some don't even provide transportation to elementary schools. You do what you have to.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I guess you carpool then

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Not everyone lives in the city though. Our district is one of the largest and most rural in our state. There is no public transportation. Many, many back, windy, and hilly roads that are not safe for pedestrians to walk on...not to mention some live a good 15-20 miles or more from the school.

Quads and dirt bikes aren't allowed on the roads here. Bikes would be nice if the roads weren't so dangerous for anything other than a car. And drivers under 17 are not allowed to drive more than one person not a family member...and that's even if the 16 year old has a car to drive...which, around here, not many do.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 7:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Regarding bikes and such...also what about during winter? Ohio doesn't get ridiculously cold, but we definitely have mornings below 0
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• luckily the elementary school is literally 1/4 mile away and transportation isn't an issue for us. the middle school and high school are probably the same distance from my home, i'd say just over 2 miles, so if they absolutely had to walk, it wouldn't be a big deal, but i do know that they bus them from here to those schools.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I would drive mine. Even if I worked I would drop them off on my way to work and have a neighbor pick them up.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2013