hes not mine, but i'm worried?

i watch a little boy who is just about 16 months.
he doesn't say any words. at all. not even mama in a normal babble.
he doesn't walk. he'll stand for about 5 min, and sit down.
he doesn't like to play with other kids.
after his nap, i have to go in and check on him to make sure hes awake. he will lay alone for hours if unattended (assuming. . .dont think i've done that.)
he is always touching his face, and feeling around on his head.

he is nothing like my three girls, or the other childrent i've watched.
his doctor has said that if he isn't progressing in 2 months, he wants to see him again.

what do you think? I think that she needs to have to checked out, but his mom was super offended!! I understand you don't want to think something is wrong with your child, but I don't know what to do...I know he isn't mine, but i don't want her to just ignore it eithor. know what i mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like something is not right with him. Hopefully his mom will come to terms with it, cause she will be his only advocate...and being in denial will never get him anywhere.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• you should tell the mom that you didn't mean to sound offensive, but let her know she should get him checked out just to be safe.. just try and keep it positive like saying "im sure it's nothing, but it can't hurt to get him checked out"
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 10:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You could almost have been describing my son at 15 or 16 months. But by 18 months he was walking and talking. It sounds like his mother is keeping an eye on it and getting appropriate medical care for him. There's no emergency here. She's taking him in again in 2 months to check his progress, right? Maybe there's something wrong, maybe there isn't. Regardless, it sounds like she's got it under control and you are overstepping your boundaries (hence, she got offended).
    Anonymous

• **OP**
    I was thinking to fast and forgot facts. .lol

He went to his normal 15 month check up, and the dr. told her that he thought he was behind. I haven't brought it up. she got mad at the dr. not me. she thinks the dr. is full of it.
    Anonymous

• Well that doesnt sound right to me, but Im no doctor all I know is my daughter was not actin that way at 16months. She was started potty trainning at that age. She was always into everything and not listening to anything I say. But if it was my child I would have him checked
    Staceyymichelle

Answer by Staceyymichelle at 10:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I don't know all too much about the subject- but I think it sounds like he could be autistic.
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 9:15 PM on Feb. 16, 2009