History Channel Bible Series- what age is the youngest that should see it???

Need some advice- I have a 5 year old and 10 year old and wonder if they should watch it. I am thinking it might be too graphic for a 5 year old. And ideas of other tv shows that help tell the stories of the Bible besides Veggie Tales?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Good question. I was wondering the same thing!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I watched about 20 min of the first one, mainly to mock it, I admit (crazy Abraham). But, IMO, it's too graphic for children & disturbing. The scene where Abraham is set to sacrifice Isaac could easily give a kid nightmares.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• It depends on the child. I think it should be okay for the 10 year old.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I watched it...I'd say over 10 or 11
    some of the scenes could be disturbing -like 3libras pointed out.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Precious Moments has some cartoons out that are good. You can also check with your Bible bookstore for additional movies.

I always find it funny when someone says things in the Bible are to violent and will give a child nightmares but at the same time will let them watch Beauty & The Beast, Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs, The Terminator, Star Wars, etc. All of these and many of the popular movies have a ton of violence/scary stuff in them and they think nothing of it. You need to take each child and how they handle things. Your 5 year old may handle things better then the 10. Only you know them.

When we cut up meat my neice wants nothing to do with it other then writing on packages (28!) Our 4, 5 & 7 year olds have no problems and help cut, grind, carry, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• i didnt watch it (no cable) but im guessing its not appropriate for under 13. it really depends on how your family works & how mature your 10 year old is. i mean the Bible can be a very violent & sexual book especially if the History Channel took liberties to make it more "entertaining".

and animated cartoons are no where near the same thing as a live action show to kids. its a lot easier to say "its only a movie" when its not something you believe to have actually happened.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I always find it funny when someone says things in the Bible are to violent and will give a child nightmares but at the same time will let them watch Beauty & The Beast, Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs, The Terminator, Star Wars, etc.

Huge, massive difference between that show and Beauty & the Beast and etc. And, my children have never watched The Terminator.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Not really. My 4 year old was terrified of the Beast but loves action movies that are shot um ups.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I was wondering the same thing. My almost 7 y/o dd wanted to watch it with me. I let her sit with me for a little while (luckily it was almost bedtime) I felt a little uneasy because some parts are graphic.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 12:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

Answer by baconbits 6 minutes ago

Did you even watch it or are you just assuming?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013