Momo twins, anyone been threw this?

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and when we went to the ob they said it was twins! We were so excited but then they said it looks like momo twins and I'm going to a high risk dr next week.(momo twins are eggs that split after fertilization and now the babies are growing in the same sac and sharing the placenta which is not to safe) I know it is still early and I'm praying it was misdiagnosed and my babies are safe. Can anyone tell me if they have went threw this and what I should be prepared for? Thank you

Kcinquemani3

Asked by Kcinquemani3 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Congratulations!

I have to wonder if they actually diagnosed mo/mo twins (monochorionic/monoamniotic twins), or if they just weren't able to rule that out because they couldn't see a membrane between the babies. I guess it would depend on the level of ultrasound equipment & tech/OB experience, but I think it is pretty common for families to be sent to a perinatologist for a consult because the ultrasound tech could not visualize a membrane. The percentage of those people who go on to have a mo/mo pregnancy CONFIRMED is very small.
    That is what happened with me. They didn't say they WERE mo/mo; they said they couldn't see a membrane & sent me for a consult. With the higher resolution ultrasound equipment, the perinatologist confirmed that there WAS a membrane between the babies.

We had mono/di twins. They shared a placenta (monochorionic) but had their own amniotic sacs (diamniotic.)

Odds are on your side with this!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Also, you are early enough in your pregnancy that they should be able to see enough detail to confirm things with a high degree of certainty, so that is a plus. I was 14 weeks along when we saw the perinatologist, and he was pretty confident about the mono/di status of our twins because the "T" between their amniotic sacs was so "clean" and sharp. And also because the membrane between them was so thin (that's why it had been hard to see, and the original ultrasound hadn't been able to pick it up.) Both these things helped him determine that there likely was a single chorionic membrane (one placenta) instead of a fused placenta (two separate placentas fused into "one.") He said the clean "T" helped establish that there was only one; likewise the thin layers of membrane between the babies.
    But a few weeks earlier (like you) & he could have literally counted the individual layers of membrane, telling us with even more certainty.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I am part of mo-mo twins! we were born early at 32 weeks (back in the 70's) and my mother did not even know we were twins until she got admitted to the hospital in labor and with pre-e!
    Good luck, if they really are mo-mo twins then yes it is riskier than "normal"twins but things tend to work themselves out over time! Hang in there
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 6:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Get in touch with mo-mo support group. This is a high risk pregnancy and you need lots of information and support.
    http://www.monoamniotic.org

Get more information about bed rest and twins in pregnancy at
    http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Liza_D_Janda
    Congrats and good luck!
    Guruliza

Answer by Guruliza at 7:15 PM on Mar. 15, 2013