Delivery room

I didn't know what else to put in the title bar. So this is my second pg and with my first born I had my mother in law my mom and my husband in there with me. I'm due the end of june and I've been thinking about who will be in the room with me this time. I just want it to be my husband. Just us. I felt so awkward last time because my mom was pushing my head down trying to get me to push harder. Haha what an image right? I feel bad that I don't want her in there but I know if shes there then my dad will be too. He was disappointed he couldn't be there for my first. But I don't want either one helping me push or watching the baby come out. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do or say to try to make this not seem mean or anything to them?

mandi_m

Asked by mandi_m at 1:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Stick to your guns. Tell them it will just be the 2 of you,and they can come in as soon as everyone is cleaned up and decent

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I would just tell them it's a special time for you and your husband and you want it to be just the two of you. That's all I had any of the 5 times I gave birth. I didn't want anyone else.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I only wanted my husband as well. My MIL had to be forcibly removed. She hates me for not allowing her in the delivery room when I had my DD.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I only had my DH. I made it clear to everyone from the start that's what I wanted.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• This is about you, your husband, and your baby. Everyone else will just have to deal with it. I didn't want an audience, either, and a lot of people standing around wouldn't have been helpful to me. Don't give an inch.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Thanks for all your support. It makes me feel better that I'm not alone. I'm going to have to prepare for this chat with them. I know they won't be very happy this is what I want this time
    mandi_m

Comment by mandi_m (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Well, it's not their pregnancy or their body, so they will have to live by whatever you want. Personally, I can't imagine anyone other than the baby's dad thinking they had any right to be there!! I would have killed my mom if she wanted to be there, and it would have embarrassed my dad to death!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I also only had my dh for both kids and my dad IS an ob/gyn. Not that I don't fully trust the parents but it was a private thing to me. My father used to joke about how some families would have ten or twelve people in the room with video cameras (that number is not allowed anymore and my dad is retired). If it were me, either don't tell them when you've gone into labor (if you're really afraid to confront them) or just say, "This time, it's just me and my husband."
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• What kind of experience do you want (someone helped you push) ?
    If you plan a water birth for example, and choose a setting/provider where people don't tell moms to push then you can have privacy and a normal experience. You can let others know that you want the safest experience possible for you & baby so you need to keep the attendants to the essentials. Who you invite to your birth can affect the outcome!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:35 AM on Mar. 7, 2013