If you needed someone to watch your kids for 5 hours/day, 3 days/week?

A 2 yo and a 4 yo, would you pay an hourly rate or a weekly rate? I'm not looking for a job, but someone offered me one and I'm considering it but I have to make sure it's well worth my time before I make my decision.
Also, my 11 yo, 13 yo and 15 yo would be here - but they don't need supervision, they do their own thing. Should I pay anything extra for them being here? If anything, they would be a huge help (knowing where stuff is, where stuff goes, interpreting for the 2 yo, etc.).

Asked by missanc at 1:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Money & Work

• Glad you clarified, because I was trying to figure out why you wouldn't just pay the 15 yr old to do it. lol

I would probably work out a weekly price for it, that way you can specify it as a weekly wage, so that if something comes up and you have an emergency that makes you an hour late one day or something, you won't have to pay extra.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• why doesn't your 15 year old and 13 year old watch them and you can pay her/him?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I would pay by the week and pay a little extra for the older kids.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• My 15 yo has autism - he has a worker that comes and works with him one on one in the afternoons. My 13 yo has track practice until 5, at least for the next 3 months.
    Sorry I should have clarified that in my question - because that would be a great solution!

Comment by missanc (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• It really varies depending on where you live. You can get ideas of what the going rate is by looking at the job postings and care provider profiles at care.com and sittercity.com. I know you can look at care.com without registering, but not sure about sittercity.com. Craigslist ads is another source too. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2013