Applying for a grant?

My husband and I live in a small rural area. We have 3 children and our lease on our house is up in September. We are trying to get things around to purchase a home this summer so that we will have a place to live. Housing is VERY hard to come by here. There are rarely ever houses for rent and there are only a few for sale. There are 2 that we looked at but one is WAY too small and the other is appraised at $81,000 but priced at $100,000. Our banker said he can give 80% of the appraisal value. Even if we were to get the bigger house at appraisal value, we still have to come up with $16,000 for a downpayment. Is there anyone that knows where to go to apply for funding or grants? I have been told of several grants but not having much luck finding information on them. Please help me out. Thanks in Advance.

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 1:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Money & Work

• Try checking with the housing agency and see if they can help you out. Money's tight right now so I doubt if you'll find much. Also, you should already have a savings built up before buying a house. Not just for the down payment but for the lawn mower, yard tools, taxes, insurance, etc that will come up.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2013