School lunches? I'm really shocked.

I had lunch with the kids at school today. I was shocked that the cafeteria workers gave the kids the option of having a vegetable. I thought with the new laws they are required to have at least one veggie. I'd say 90% of the kids had one cheese enchilada and 3 slices of apples on their plate. They even gave them the option of having beans too. Also they only have flavored milk. No plain milk available.

Is It like this at your child's school?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 2:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Personally I wouldn't eat half the stuff at my kids school. My boys hate to get the school lunches but there's only so much time/money to pack lunches. They have stuff like mashed potato bowl with spinach and wonder why the kids won't eat it. UGH! It even sounds nasty together!
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I am soooo glad my kids have to take their lunch everyday. Our school does not have a hot lunch option, so all of the kids pack a lunch. And there is no trading allowed, so you know exactly what your kids are eating.

What you are describing does not surprise me at all. SAD!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• They have to OFFER it,but can't force it on them
    Seems pretty dumb to throw all that stuff out. There has to be a happy medium there.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Nothing optional at ours, they come pre packaged from the kitchen at the high school. The grade schools just have resources to reheat and serve. afaik, we were already ahead of the standard as far as including veggies, but it's still not as good as I can send from home.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I rather send food with my child. School lunches are nasty.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I pack lunches on days they have things thy wont eat, like corn dogs. I'm starting to think I will pack more often now.

Ooooh, and get this....they can pay 1.25 and get the al la cart menu. No veggies just a slice of pizza, egg roll or nachos. These are kindergarteners. And wwe wonder why wwe have a childhood obesity problem. Ugh.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Even if they do offer veggies, and even if the veggies get eaten, they're mushy, nasty, and overcooked.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• the recently revamped the lunches in my school district. they use to be all pre-packaged junk. the first time i subbed and had lunch duty i was appalled at the food...stadium nachos, a cookie, and bright red applesauce. now its all cooked on site mostly from scratch & the fruits/veggies are often from local farms. they have GREAT looking lunches but the names are still the same. they also have a "try it" policy in the elementary schools that means they have no choice about the veggie and are encouraged to try it. turns out all this real & fresh food was cheaper than the pre-packaged stuff so the school saved money too!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• The veggie today was the most beautiful spring mix salad. That was the only thing edible. The enchilada was so salty none of took more than a bite or two.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• oh and the kids actually eat the fresh veggies...very little gets thrown away b/c the younger kids are willing to try it. the secondary schools have salad bars that are actually used too.

and by "names are still the same" i mean they still have hamburgers, pizza, hot dog type foods, but they are a little healthier than they used to be.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2013