Christians, Does your church offer teaching in apologetics?

Just wondering. I'd never heard the term "apologetics" until a few years ago. I didn't grow up in church but the churches I've attended didn't say much about it. I've attended mostly Baptist churches.

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Apologetics is a defensive theology. You learn to defend your faith in a logical, Biblically sound manner. It is not used for argumentative purposes but for informational pruposes and of course, growth and obedience.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 5:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• Yes but we called it the history of the church and or religious studies.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Ive never heard it called that exactly, but yes there are some classes about that.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I always thought there was a difference between just "how the Bible came to be" and why we Christians believe what we believe. Apologetics, I've always thought, involves the defense of Christian beliefs, in terms of debate and discussion. Different from just regular old Sunday School, it's actually a theological field. Some churches may teach it - I don't think mind did/does. Course I could be looking at too literal a definition, lol.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• What is it?
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Yes. I attend a Southern Baptist church and we offer classes. Not usually on Sunday mornings or evening services, those are more for worship than teaching, but on Sunday night or weekday/night Bible study classes.

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I attend a Disciples of Christ church, and we used to have classes in apologetics when there was a semi-retired college professor in the congregation who volunteered to teach. I found the classes fascinating.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Yes, we do.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• No, I've been to several churches in our area through out the years and none have had classes for that...
    TiffyTaffyApple

Answer by TiffyTaffyApple at 7:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• No. I go to a very small community church and most of the congregation are elders. I also have quite a few family members there. We don't have alot of the extra classes and studies that alot of the bigger churches have. But we do have a very loving church family. :) I learn alot by reading, studying and listening to various items on my own...just by absorbing. Staying thirsty helps. :)
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 4:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2013