The Vatican and certain theocracies oppose the UN's efforts to stop violence against women. Why?

How can they be defended for fighting against protections against violence?  How can anyone suggest that Islam and Catholicism are not inherently misogynistic?

Article

Vatican and Iran fight UN's efforts to stop violence against women

By Agence France-Presse
Monday, March 4, 2013 16:03 EST

The Vatican, Iran and other religious states are resisting efforts by a UN conference, which started Monday, to demand tougher global standards to prevent violence against women and children.

More than 6,000 non-government groups are registered at the annual UN Commission on the Status of Women, one of the biggest events held at the UN headquarters which regularly turns into a diplomatic battle.

This year's meeting has been made more emotive after an attack several months ago by the Taliban on 15-year-old Malala Yousafzai for her attempts to promote girls' education in Pakistan and because of widely publicized gang rapes in India and South Africa.

Diplomats said the Holy See, Iran and Russia are leading attempts wipe out language in a draft final statement that says religion, custom or tradition must not be used as an excuse to avoid a government's obligation to eliminate violence.

They also have opposed references to rape by a woman's husband or partner, diplomats said.

"Violence against women must be seen as a human rights issue and that has nothing to do with culture or religion," Norway's Gender Equality Minister Inga Marte Thorkildsen told AFP.

"The Vatican, conservative religious forces within the United States and Europe, Catholic and Muslim countries are joining forces to stop women from gaining sexual rights," the minister said, predicting tough negotiations during the two week conference.

"It has to do with power and equality and the lack of will to see women as valuable as men," Thorkildsen added.

"We have to see good prosecutions, prevention and protection for these women and children."

"I am optimistic, but it will be hard," said Thorkildsen.

"When they speak about moral issues, those who are trying to hinder a conclusion, they have to ask themselves about the real moral hazard of our time - which is depriving millions of women and children of the right to a life."

Much has been made at the conference of a World Bank report which estimates that more women aged 15-44 are killed violently than die of malaria, HIV, cancer, accidents and war combined.

"We have to commit to concrete means to prevent this," said the Norwegian minister who estimated that gender-based violence costs her country one billion dollars a year.

Lynne Featherstone, Britain's international development minister, said: "We must do everything in our power to defend the hard-gained progress on women's rights.

"We must ensure that the international community agrees a set of global standards to help protect women and girls everywhere from violence."

Michele Bachelet, the head of the UN Women agency and former president of Chile, said the two week meeting would be "critical"

"We need to strengthen implementation of laws, policies and programs for preventing and responding to violence against women and girls," she said.

"Implementation must be accelerated and governments should be held accountable for their commitments and obligations," Bachelet added.

The UN missions for the Vatican, Iran and Russia declined to comment immediately on the conference.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I have to come back to this when I'm not so angry and I can think more rationally.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• It's just disgusting. Iran, yeah, I get it. But, this is seriously another huge fail for the Catholic Church, which as I see it, is heading for a massive downfall. I guess they're opposed to "language in a draft final statement that says religion, custom or tradition must not be used as an excuse to avoid a government's obligation to eliminate violence", you know how they "love tradition", AKA have to be able to use their religion as an escape goat for their actions, even when it is for the determinate of society.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• no surprise countries that are run by Islamic law dont like this...it kinda keeps them from being able to use their view of the Koran to belittle women. they probably also fear that when women get power & rights that they will end up like the Western countries (the big evil that we are). as far as the Catholic Church goes, im pretty sure their main deterrent is women gaining sexual rights...ya know since birth control is the #1 evil thing in our world right now *rolls eyes*. and Russia...well Putin has started to turn the country away from its Atheistic past. he's basically come out and said that the Orthodox Christian church should have more control over everything in Russia.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• just wanted to point out those arent justifications, just maybe their stupid thinking behind their stupid reasoning for not wanting violence against women stopped.

on another note, the US still hasnt ratified the UN's Rights of the Child treaty either...what does that say about us.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• a certain Rolling Stones song comes to mind 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• The UN is crap and doesn't really do any real good. It is full of bureaucrats who just want power and to rule the world.  And Yes I speak hillbilly.

Anonymous

• Therefore, let the women suffer!  That'll teach those power-hungry bureaucrats!

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Since I think the UN should be disbanded, I can't say that I hold anything they talk about as something I think valuable.

I will have to do a bit of study before I can really give a decent comet. Certainly what I just read is disturbing.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• The UN is crap and doesn't really do any real good. It is full of bureaucrats who just want power and to rule the world. And Yes I speak hillbilly.
    ***********************************************
    THATS what you got out of this?? WOW tunnel vision must be nice.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I have little to no interaction with anyone who is Muslim, so I cant speak knowledgeably about their customs. However, as much as I love my catholic friends, I have to say that the tradition of the catholic church seems to be that they are very hesitant to ever admit a wrong. From pedophile priests, to a tradition of opposing forward movements in equality, the catholic church as a whole, their public face so to speak, has been one of cover up and denial. But that is not true of the invidual catholics I know. I am friends with one priest who would never support the above article. He would personally find it very appalling. I think it is sad that the voice of the catholic church can be so limiting, and negative. It sorta like a parent who, as a kid, you always know their first answer to everything is going to be NO. IMHO
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2013