S/o is it fair of the school....

To send your child home wearing a sticker or that nights spirit night,rather than discreetly placing a notice in their homework folder? They have 4 events per month at various restaurants and I anyone from the school eats there it raises money for the school. Everytime I have to let her down because we just can't afford it. Why not just notify parents through The homework folder, the way ALL other communication is handled?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in

• I agree. They need to send like a newsletter home. Not get the kids excited for something the parents may not be able to afford or attend.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Is the sticker from the restaurant? If so, it's probably part of the agreement they have with the school. Until the kids get home, they are little walking advertisements for them! :p Don't feel bad mama, our child's school does the same thing, & it never seems to be on payday! As long as they're fed, that's what matters. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I totally agree with you
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I understand your point and can sympathize - when I was a single mom I couldn't afford it either! But we have so much going on if our school didn't advertise several ways (newsletter, sign in front of school and stickers), I would surely forget!

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Because then your kids don't badger you into going! lol Seriously, I'm pretty sure they do stuff like that to get the kids excited, hoping that most parents will feel too guilty to let them down and will agree to whatever it is.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I agree. Every week they come home as a walking advertisement. Every fundraiser they have, they tell me why I HAVE to buy tubs of cookie dough, candles, wrapping paper, etc. Every time, I tell them no. They tell me I NEED to join the PTA. I tell them I don't. I told them their fundraising comes from the box tops. That's all I do and that is all I ever will do. It isn't even money. I just don't like how aggressive they are about fundraisers.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• i believe the stickers are just printed up in the office. they have "official" logos on them or anything.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 4:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• they do that at DD's school too...only its from the restaurant so it has their mascot on it. i hate having to tell her were not going and i think thats why they do it. like maybe its an agreement with the school...we'll give you 15% of the proceeds and you put stickers on every kid promoting our place so they whine till their parents go. its the same with those assemblies that show all the cool stuff you could win if you do fundraising.

we might go once in a while if they picked a cheaper, better restaurant but its always the same place.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I loathe those fundraisers. Especially the ones where you can "win cool stuff" if you sell a ton of junk. It's all overpriced crap, and the school doesn't get enough of the proceeds because they go to some slick company that imports the s**t and prints up glossy catalogs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• We had 3 different fundraisers this year. I made a deal with my son. No selling and I'll give you $5.00 to use at the dollar store. He was thrilled. We have done this stuff every year, and it's just getting to be too much. Nobody want to buy overpriced junk, but they do for the kids.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2013