How much is too much to spend on daycare?

The new daycare I'm thinking of putting my child in is close to work and home and a lot of her friends from school attend as well. I'm a single mom and money is tight. I have rent, a car payment, phone and food to pay. The daycare is asking for $400.oo/month. I live in a small town and never really did the whole daycare thing. Does this sound about right? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• it depends on her age. $100/week is the going rate around here for 5 year olds, and some afterschool programs as well.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• She's 5 and in preschool.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I believe $100 is average for that age.
    I pay very close to $1000 for two kids and switching to another one where it will be about $400 a month for each kid.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• That sounds like a affordable rate if it does not leave you broke after other bills are paid.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Depends on the amount of time, the type of daycare and how many others (competition) is in the area.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Both of my boys go to daycare 2 days a week and we pay $448 a month.
    Anonymous

• If you are still making enough money to take care of your family after paying the daycare rate and you are comfortable with the school- then it is a good rate.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• then yes, it sounds like a good rate. will it be full tiime? will they provide lunch and snacks? those are also things to consider in the fee.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I think you are getting a good deal, the last time I paid for all day daycare (2 years ago) I paid $200 per week for 4 days! Make sure that she is reporting the income so you can get child care tax credit, if she wants to do "cash" under the table, you might want to keep searching for one who does.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I pay 160/wk and she is in preschool also. 400 a month sounds good. Mine provides breakfast,lunch and snack.
    libramoon007

Answer by libramoon007 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2013