Group work in classrooms

My daughter has always been good at algebra last Christmas during a break they changed teachers apparently the first semester teacher called the child a bad game or something anyhow she was transferred out of the classroom into another class.
The second semester teacher only teaches in groups my daughter is shy but is still good at math does not like doing the group projects for everything.
This last semester she failed math I explained to the counselor that he didn't really appreciate the groups no individual work except for test is it fair to her to have to do everything in a group setting?
What is your take on teachers doing things in groups not letting the child show their individual strengths and weaknesses?
She is in the 8th grade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I am not a fan.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• There has to be more to the story. Have you talked to this teacher about it??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• There has to be a balance. Working in groups is an important life skill kids need to learn. But it isn't always fair because the stronger members in a subject end up carrying the group while the weaker ones tag along.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I can't stand the group thing. Both of my kids are honor students who take their school work and grades very seriously and there is ALWAYS a person in the group who expects everyone else to do all the work or is lazy and just doesn't want to participate. The kids who care do all the work and the kid who doesn't care reaps the benefits.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• cooperative learning (groups) is the new "it" thing in education. many studies have shown that most students learn more in group settings so long as the grade is not based solely on the group's work, but individual work as well. if this is what the teacher is doing & is doing it correctly, the grades are still based on individual work. also, homework should still be on the individual. so either the teacher is doing group work wrong, or your DD isnt doing her homework. and as an introvert i always hated group work and i still hate it (in my ed grad classes we do most everything in groups, blah!)

also...please use more punctuation. your sentences are really hard to read.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• okmanders--it is NOT new. My teacher had us doing this over 20 years ago.

That being said

I feel there is more to this than either you are saying. or you just don't know. Group projects can be very beneifical, but I'm pretty sure if it was a 'group grade' for the quarter for all the kids, there would be more people complaining.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• 100% group work makes it easy for the popular or the bullies to get out of doing the work and making the "geek or nerd do it all instead. It is NOT a fair way to determine who is good at what and who needs help with what.

I have undiagnosed discalculia, a math dyslexia. Because my dad and all my teachers thought I was just being lazy and/or not applying myself I learned by 8th grade how to cheat, copy, and fake my way through all my math classes.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I think there's something more that's missing, too. I'm not saying that your daughter has done something wrong, necessarily, but I think there's something you're not being told - whether it's your daughter not telling you, or the teacher. I would go in and meet with the teacher and ask lots of questions, starting with how her grade was determined. If you're not happy with the answers you get from him, then move up to the principal.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• There has to be more than just group work involved. There are tests, quizzes, homework, etc. that are done individually. I think you need to make an appt. to talk to the teacher, the counselor, the principal, etc. Get to the bottom of it. Something doesn't sound right here. No class or subject is ALL group work.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Daughter says the teacher takes whomever's paper is on the top if the pile for that group, is the answer key.
    So, if my child disagrees with an answer and writes in a different number than the group (right or wrong) its counted incorrect.
    She is not the type to jump up and yell - I think your answer is wrong. Therefor, not following the group.
    And she says it's harder to ask a specific question - the teacher just refers her back to her group. Again, a shy girl not ready and willing to jump out and say: to a group of five other kids - I don't understand.
    So, even with homework. Who's to help if she doesn't understand something.
    This is an advanced math class / high school level and will be a high school credit - if she passes.

To me it seems like a lazy way to teach. I'm not a teacher and usually applaud all they do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2013