How do you make boxed cake more dense?

It always seems to fall apart when trying to frost boxed cakes.. Any way to make it a lot more dense??

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 4:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Food & Drink

• You could try adding another egg yolk and reducint the water.

The best way I know is to use puried pumpkin. You replace 1/2 of the fat with the equal amount of pumpkin. It will alter the taste.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• My secret is using a can of coconut milk instead of water, or at least milk if you don't have the coconut milk. Makes the cake a lot denser and richer.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• You may be over whipping it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I go less on the water, and add and extra egg, you might be baking it too long, take it out 5 minutes earlier, and let it cool down, you can even put it in the freezer for 5 minutes before you frost it.
    The other problem might be your frosting is too thick, make sure you stir it several times before you frost.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 5:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• add a cup of shredded zucchini
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I think tapping the pan once filled with batter on the counter to get all the bubbles out makes the densest layers.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Don't let it study! lol :p Sorry, couldn't resist. The others have given good suggestions. GL on the cake. I'll be making 2 of them in the next few days here.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• More egg. Replace some water with an equal amount of sour cream. Add a small box of instant pudding (dry, not prepared). Or all 3 - makes an amazing cake.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• 1 cup of water and one individual serving of greek yogurt!! seriously!! nothing else! you will never want to make a boxes cake any other way again! bake for about 5 minutes longer than you typically would!
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 12:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• These are good suggestions. I am going to try them.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2013