Your baby can read.....?

Has anyone heard of this program or used it? It seems nearly impossible or that your child needs to be on the brink of genius for it to even work. I know my 15 mo old will not sit still long enough to even listen to me or look at a flashcard. Do you think programs like this push kids too hard...don't give them time to be a kid bc they are so focused on reading? ...... but I can't help but want my child to do well. I really don't know what to think about these types of programs. I am tempted to order it....let me know what you think...or if you have used this. Thanks

Jakesmom1107

Asked by Jakesmom1107 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would love to order it but i think its riduculous that you have to order the somplete set instead of one DVD at a time.. something fishy there
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Check out the Toddler Buzz - there's a blog about the pros and cons (one parent who liked it and one who didn't). Personally, it's a waste of money because the best way to teach a child not only TO read but also to LOVE to read is to simply read to them. http://www.cafemom.com/dailybuzz/toddler/2842/Your_Baby_Can_Read_It_Worked_for_Me
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I don't have this, but I do believe that it is crazy. I dont know of any 9 month old that can speak as well as what that show says. or even a 2 year old that could read a book. I believe that its just unbelieveable and just about inpossible.
    Anonymous

• Any child can learn something through rote memorization. I looked into this program for my daughter and decided it had far more potential harm than any slight good.

Basically, a word shows up on the screen and is repeated for the child, any appropriate action is also shown (like raising hands). Show a normal child this enough times and they will learn what the video is going to say when a particular word shows up on the screen. Simple memorization. I've seen my daughter do the same thing with her sign language videos. She knew what word was next on the video before that section started.

Why is this potentially harmful? From what I've found in my research, several studies have found that kids who learn to read through memorization have a harder time learning phonics later and fall behind their "phonics only" peers by 4th grade. No thanks.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yea, I wanted to get this for my ds, because it looked so cool.. then I found out it was $200! so I looked up the guy on my school's psychology database, and regular database- there was nothing be "Dr. Robert Titzer" anywhere ,if he had published something about his findings, or even at all, I think he would have shown up
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• We thought about ordering it but we KNOW there is no way max would ever sit and basically watch TV and learn from it - no way!!! but we try to keep him awway from TV also so I wasn't really comfortable letting him watch TV to learn - I try to teach him shapes and colors through books and hope it works eventually.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009