how will i know if im in labor?

yup.. that's the question!

I'm almost 38 weeks, just got done eating about a dozen hot wings, have BAD lower back pains, getting some period like cramps, and energetic right now....

So, how will I know if I'm actually in labor? I've had false labor SO many times, im sick of being sent home for nothing.

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 10:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• consistent contractions, stronger and closer together, at least 4 in an hour.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• hmm..Time your contractions...If they are at a steady, consistent time apart it's a good sign you are..False contractions are usually sporadic and random whereas real labor contractions seem to be at a steady time apart...Say if you time your contractions and you're getting them almost exactly 20 minutes apart at a steady pace they will start doing that then they will get closer and closer..15 minutes apart, 10 minutes apart, 5 minutes apart etc..The closer they get, it's time to go to the hospital! I'd say if they are almost exactly 10 minutes apart then go to the hospital..If you aren't having stead contractions it's probably braxton hicks.

Anonymous

• Anything except contractions? I keep having consistent contractions, and they hurt... but every time I think I'm in labor because of the contractions, they send me home !! What a bunch of suckers. Haha.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 10:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• are your contractions tight around and move down??? have you lost your mucus plug or has your water broke??
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 10:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Yeah, I lost my mucus plug.. but my water hasn't broken yet. Yes my contractions are tight around the bottom of my stomach (they feel just like period pains) and they also hurt in my lower back as well.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 10:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Well, if your contractions aren't painful enough to get you off cafemom, then I doubt it's labor. :o)
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I agree with AshJoe... I hate to sound cliche, but when you are in labor- You'll know it.

The waiting will drive a woman crazy, but labor is something unlike you've ever felt before- and something you'll never forget! Good luck... and it will end!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• But I've heard from so many women that you might not be able to tell, it just feels like period cramps...?
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 10:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• well bad lower back pains and contractions are two different things. atleast for me they were. everyone is different, but when i was in labor i couldnt stand on my own when my contractions would happen. I would have to grab my hubby or the wall because they were that intense! count how long they last and how long in between. I went to the hospital when they were lasting about a min and were 5 mins apart by the time i got there they were 3 mins apart by the time the dr checked me they were 1 min and then i was admitted! GOOD LUCK!!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 12:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009