How would you have reacted?

we have backyard neighbors, i live in a suburban neighborhood where all the houses are practically on top of eachother. anyway, my neighbors on either side of me don't have a fence, neither do i, and neither do any of the neighbors behind me. its obviously whose backyard belongs to who but, children are usually not respectful of the boundaries (which is whatever to me).

anyway, my 3 kids, 6 more from down the street, and the kid who lives directly behind me, were all playing in both of our yards tonight.

yes, they were being loud. isn't that what kids do though?

anyway, the neighbor that lives next to the guy directly behind me came out of her porch and started banging loudly on her porch to get their attention and yelling "HEY! HEY!" with such a hostile tone. i was sitting on my porch, and the neighbor behind me (a couple) were sitting on theirs. when the bitchy neighbor got their attention, she asked them to keep it down. well, more like demanded that they keep iit down.

okay, it was 6:30 in the evening. she was trying to put her 1 year old to bed. whatever, i get it, your kid can't sleep when there is noise. but that sure as hell isn't my kids' problem. they were playing in their own yards and being KIDS for fuck's sake.

the neighbor behind me was the first to react, and he was a smart ass and said "yeah, like your dog doesn't wake us all up at 6 am yapping every morning" and then i came out and told the kids to play as loud as they want, that it's not their problem if her child can't sleep, it's 6:30 in the evening and they are OUTSIDE where they can be AS LOUD AS THEY WANT.

it's not the first scoff ive had with this bitch, but it's the most serious one yet. the way she was yelling at them had me fuming. i could see if it was 9 or 10 at night but damn... 6:30!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would have told her to not speak to my children like that first of all. If she has an issue she can speak to me. I would have told her its 6:30 they are playing in their yards and they are going to continue to play. While I understand loud noise keeping a child up is upsetting it wasn't past 9 and I wouldn't force my children to be quiet.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 9:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• The rudeness of the neighbor would have been annoying to me. I'm not sure I would have told the kids to be as loud as they wanted, but I can see why you felt the way you did.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Probably not like that. I would have probably tried to move the noisy children to a different spot (the front yard or another yard). I don't think it's wise to start problems with neighbors..... I grew up around Chicago... LOL! I know what neighbors are capable of.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• The kids weren't doing anything wrong. Hopefully when the neighbor calms down she'll feel embarrassed by her actions and that will be the end of it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I think it's crazy your neighbor yelled at your kids when you were sitting right there! I would have said something like,

"Please speak to me if you have a problem with the noise. Don't yell at my kids, especially when I'm sitting right here. I will ask the kids to tone it down a little, but you have to realize it's only 6:30, and they are outside in their own yard. Do you have your windows shut and some sort of white noise machine going? That might help if you have to put her down when the big kids are blowing off steam outside."

What a pain your neighbor is, though. That takes some stones!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• lol mavi- i know there have been a lot of florida jokes on here lately but we aren't as murderous as chicago folks. we're just a little cooky.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Well, just be safe.... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• btw, re reading what i wrote, i didnt say anything to the kids except that they can play as loud as they want. all that other stuff i said after was what my backyard neighbor (the smartass lol) and i were talking about.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2013