How do I know if my son has autism

for the past couple of weeks my son hasn't been eating and hes been sleeping more the usual..... he's been using the restroom fine and when I ask if anything hurts he says no he hasn't been running a fever or anything but im starting to get worried like crazy..... His speech has gotten a lot worse I cant understand him anymore and now its like he doesn't know how to talk he has became really greedy over toys and gets mad if anyone plays with his stuff... he also started taking his shoe boxes and he lines them up in a straight line and all this has been taking place for awhile now but its getting worse..... he was born a premie and the docs told me he would prolly be a little slower at learning things and he was but now its getting worse and idk what to do its like hes pulling himself away from everything and its like he is physcaly exshausted and I don't know what it is or how to fix or what to do he is 3 years old!!!!!!! if anybody has gone through this or if anyone knows what I can do or anything plz let me know THANKS

pregy92

Asked by pregy92 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• And as a mom still "trying not to deny it", I definitely know how weird it can feel to have someone label your child "autisic". Its not necessarily denial, just a change of perspective.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• i would not recomend going through school system
    they are not medical autism doctors
    call local autism chapter and get referral to a doctor who deals with autism every day
    not school staff
    (jmo)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Anon 1 -they actually DO involve psychologist. While I agree the school system is not the ideal way to go about it- it is functional and it is the only option many people have.

This is how I had to have my son diagnoses because we lost insurance and he was not able to get into state care for a few months after we lost it. The school did a good job of getting to the root of the problem. They used the same scales and observations as any other doctor. The only difference between my school evaluation and my private once he had insurance was that I felt more involved in his private evaluation. they came to the same conclusion and recommended the same things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• a school doing eval might get you started- true
    if you want to get on the federal waiver list for autism services- a school eval will not cut it

i got an autism doctor to so a free in home 2 hours autism CARS eval for zero money, the thing was he wanted more patients in the area as he was expanding his clinic to include that area, might try that if no insurance

the school in my area does not even have one autism liaison for the whole school district, so not the best route for us
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2013