How do I know if my son has autism

for the past couple of weeks my son hasn't been eating and hes been sleeping more the usual..... he's been using the restroom fine and when I ask if anything hurts he says no he hasn't been running a fever or anything but im starting to get worried like crazy..... His speech has gotten a lot worse I cant understand him anymore and now its like he doesn't know how to talk he has became really greedy over toys and gets mad if anyone plays with his stuff... he also started taking his shoe boxes and he lines them up in a straight line and all this has been taking place for awhile now but its getting worse..... he was born a premie and the docs told me he would prolly be a little slower at learning things and he was but now its getting worse and idk what to do its like hes pulling himself away from everything and its like he is physcaly exshausted and I don't know what it is or how to fix or what to do he is 3 years old!!!!!!! if anybody has gone through this or if anyone knows what I can do or anything plz let me know THANKS

pregy92

Asked by pregy92 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• a school doing eval might get you started- true
    if you want to get on the federal waiver list for autism services- a school eval will not cut it

i got an autism doctor to so a free in home 2 hours autism CARS eval for zero money, the thing was he wanted more patients in the area as he was expanding his clinic to include that area, might try that if no insurance

the school in my area does not even have one autism liaison for the whole school district, so not the best route for us
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Anon 1 -they actually DO involve psychologist. While I agree the school system is not the ideal way to go about it- it is functional and it is the only option many people have.

This is how I had to have my son diagnoses because we lost insurance and he was not able to get into state care for a few months after we lost it. The school did a good job of getting to the root of the problem. They used the same scales and observations as any other doctor. The only difference between my school evaluation and my private once he had insurance was that I felt more involved in his private evaluation. they came to the same conclusion and recommended the same things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• i would not recomend going through school system
    they are not medical autism doctors
    call local autism chapter and get referral to a doctor who deals with autism every day
    not school staff
    (jmo)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• And as a mom still "trying not to deny it", I definitely know how weird it can feel to have someone label your child "autisic". Its not necessarily denial, just a change of perspective.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Just went through this, and yes, he can be evaluated through the school district. Not sure if you need a recommendation though. That's how my son got his.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• if he gets a dx of autism
    he will be the same lovable child after the "label"
    but he will be a child who is getting help for autism

hugs
    been there
    heck, i am there every day
    Anonymous

• I wish I could tell you how easy or hard it is going to be but there is just so much that factors into that. Each child on the spectrum is so different and some have more challenges or troublesome behaviors than others. This makes how much therapy is needed for each child different. All therapy can be taken care of by the school during the day or it can be very time consuming even outside of school hours depending on the need. How easy or hard to deal with the schools are in your area plays a large role. I am blessed to be in a system where all my sons needs are met with very little push from me, while other parents spend a lot of time just going back and forth with the school. How much support there is in your area with respite care and support groups and how much support you have from family and friends. If he is on the spectrum it will be a touch and go process but you will find your way.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Ive been searching online googleing everything I know to google about it trying to find support groups and someone told me to go here to this website so I figured I would try it out.... My son has an appointment with the doc next and I pray that everything is ok but if he happens to be autistic I guess itll just be a learning process for both of us... would you happen to know if its easy to handle or if its gonna be really har??? I only ask this because im a young mom with 4 children recently divorced and I do the best that I possibly can
    pregy92

Comment by pregy92 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I never thought you were trying to harm him! I just wanted to make sure you understood what benefit came from getting a diagnosis (if there is one) sooner rather than later. While you are waiting for an eval- if you choose to wait- I would spend some time reading a few books at the library or looking for a local support group who can maybe give you some ideas on how to deal with what you are seeing and what behaviors are frustrating you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Thank yall im wasn't trying to delay it to harm him I just don't know how to handle it and I know if hes diagnosed its gonna be a long road ahead hes enrolled in head start just waiting for a opening for him to join the school said when he gets a place to start that they would test him so I either have to wait to have him tested theough coop or take him to his doctor to get a referral by the doctor to go see a spescislist
    pregy92

Comment by pregy92 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2013