How do I know if my son has autism

for the past couple of weeks my son hasn't been eating and hes been sleeping more the usual..... he's been using the restroom fine and when I ask if anything hurts he says no he hasn't been running a fever or anything but im starting to get worried like crazy..... His speech has gotten a lot worse I cant understand him anymore and now its like he doesn't know how to talk he has became really greedy over toys and gets mad if anyone plays with his stuff... he also started taking his shoe boxes and he lines them up in a straight line and all this has been taking place for awhile now but its getting worse..... he was born a premie and the docs told me he would prolly be a little slower at learning things and he was but now its getting worse and idk what to do its like hes pulling himself away from everything and its like he is physcaly exshausted and I don't know what it is or how to fix or what to do he is 3 years old!!!!!!! if anybody has gone through this or if anyone knows what I can do or anything plz let me know THANKS

pregy92

Asked by pregy92 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At 3 years old he is eligible for an evaluation through the school system. If they decide he meets the criteria for an Autism Spectrum disorder they will enroll him in services to give him a head start. It would certainly be a good idea, if you are concerned, to have him evaluated.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I never thought you were trying to harm him! I just wanted to make sure you understood what benefit came from getting a diagnosis (if there is one) sooner rather than later. While you are waiting for an eval- if you choose to wait- I would spend some time reading a few books at the library or looking for a local support group who can maybe give you some ideas on how to deal with what you are seeing and what behaviors are frustrating you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• My son started showing signs of high functioning Autism at 3 but I put off diagnosis until 5. If I had it to do over- I would have had him evaluated at 3. We missed out on a lot of help and school preparation time. It could be a stage. It could be he has an innocent speech delay. It could be he is perfectly normal! But if you have any question- any at all- you should really go ahead and look into it. If not through the school system then trough a private psychologist.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Don't overlook it. As much as you may want to deny the problem, that won't help. If he has a disorder of any kind, waiting could hurt him. Early intervention with educational services or other treatments could mean the difference between him living a normal life or not. My stepson's parens waited and rationalized issues a lot longer than they should have, and I see how that has harmed my stepson, who is a teenager now. Take advantage of whatever help is available to you as soon as you can.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• if he gets a dx of autism
    he will be the same lovable child after the "label"
    but he will be a child who is getting help for autism

hugs
    been there
    heck, i am there every day
    Anonymous

• well I would like to have him tested but being a mom you don't wanna believe that there is something wrong with your child so I kinda just over look it but it seems like its getting worse!!!!! I don't know if its autism or if its just a stage hes going through
    pregy92

Comment by pregy92 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Thank yall im wasn't trying to delay it to harm him I just don't know how to handle it and I know if hes diagnosed its gonna be a long road ahead hes enrolled in head start just waiting for a opening for him to join the school said when he gets a place to start that they would test him so I either have to wait to have him tested theough coop or take him to his doctor to get a referral by the doctor to go see a spescislist
    pregy92

Comment by pregy92 (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Ive been searching online googleing everything I know to google about it trying to find support groups and someone told me to go here to this website so I figured I would try it out.... My son has an appointment with the doc next and I pray that everything is ok but if he happens to be autistic I guess itll just be a learning process for both of us... would you happen to know if its easy to handle or if its gonna be really har??? I only ask this because im a young mom with 4 children recently divorced and I do the best that I possibly can
    pregy92

Comment by pregy92 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I wish I could tell you how easy or hard it is going to be but there is just so much that factors into that. Each child on the spectrum is so different and some have more challenges or troublesome behaviors than others. This makes how much therapy is needed for each child different. All therapy can be taken care of by the school during the day or it can be very time consuming even outside of school hours depending on the need. How easy or hard to deal with the schools are in your area plays a large role. I am blessed to be in a system where all my sons needs are met with very little push from me, while other parents spend a lot of time just going back and forth with the school. How much support there is in your area with respite care and support groups and how much support you have from family and friends. If he is on the spectrum it will be a touch and go process but you will find your way.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Just went through this, and yes, he can be evaluated through the school district. Not sure if you need a recommendation though. That's how my son got his.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2013