Would you be upset if

When your child is an adult started dating one of your friends? What would you do? Could you still be friends after that?

Seen in on a t.v. show made me think.

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 9:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2013 in General Parenting

• That would be pretty awkward. There's such an age difference that I don't see it happening, but I think I would find it hard, especially if the friend didn't treat my child well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I would hope that none of my friends would ever "see" my daughters in a romantic light.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• That would be SOOOO wrong

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• i would never, ever speak to that friend again. ewww
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Depends greatly on which friend. No matter what, it would change the dynamics of our friendship.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• that really grosses me out...and would end my friendship b/c id never be able to see them in the same light again. there'd be no trust.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• I was 42 when I had DD so by the time she's an adult my friends should be old enough to know better!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Yeah, I'd be upset. I could never look at someone I watched grow up in a romantic way, and I would be seriously bothered that one of my friends could. Fortunately, I think most of my friends think the same way.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• It's hard to say one way or the other without a context, and it's hard to imagine the context in which this would/could happen!

I have one friend (about my age) with two young sons, but also a son who is now an adult (and he's now married & a father!) She also has friends of various ages. I guess that's a situation in which this scenario might be possible....that he could have gotten in a relationship with one of his "mom's friends."

I guess my answer is that I would be upset if something surprised or frightened me, so I might be upset about this kind of situation. Sure. That is not to say that I would reject the relationship or reject/disown my friend, or that I would try to control things. But if I had fears or doubts, I'd likely feel upset and would have a lot to work through.

Hopefully I would be able to respond optimally (both to my feelings & to the situation)!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2013