Delivering at 37 weeks??

So im 36 weeks pregnant with twins i have been dialated to 4cm for a while now and gavent felt any contractions im praying to make it to 37 weeks wich i probably will im just curious if 37weeks is considered full term and out of the premature area? also anyone that has deliverd at 37weeks how did it go for you? any nicu time (twins or not)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Many women are lucky to make it to 37 weeks with twins and it is considered full term. Whether or not your babies spend any time in the NICU will depend on their birth weight and how they are doing when they are born.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:11 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• 37 weeks is when a baby is considered healthy enough to live outside the mothers body on their own. I have known a couple people who delivered around 37 weeks with no problem. both my girls were late and both had nicu time though
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:12 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• ummm yea i was told the weight didnt matter at all just how the baby was doing because even 7 or 8lbs baby could need nicu time
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:31 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Yes, but if the babies are under 5 lbs many hospitals make them stay in the hospital until they are 5 lbs and not losing weight.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:38 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• ow very wierd i have several friends & my sister herself they had 4lb babies and went home the next day
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:41 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• The bigger the baby (within reason) the less likely they are to need the NICU. There is no magic number or weight babies are individuals. Yes I took my babies home at barely 4 lbs. The lungs are the last organ to develop, and that's the biggest concern at this stage. Have you received a steroid shot to help their lungs develop faster?
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:50 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Also I wanted to add that making it this far with twins is excellent.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:51 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I was induced at 37 weeks with my 3rd. She was 7 lbs 7 oz and very healthy. No nicu time needed.

Answer by missanc at 6:02 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Most carseats are rated with a minimum of five pounds. So if the baby left under that weight they would have to be in a special carseat. I delivered at 38 weeks and the baby was fine. Twins are notorious for being early. Your doctor can ease your concerns because they know more about your pregnancy. I didn't know anyone on here was expecting twins. You should post some pregnancy pics we love new babies and expecting mama's.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:15 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• mine was just over 3 weeks early
    planned c section
    she was 6 lbs 2 oz
    i did have two shots a few days before to help develop her lungs
    she was gaining weight in hospital
    and we left without having to do the preemie checklist
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Mar. 7, 2013