Am I making a mistake?

About three years ago my doctor told me he suspected I might have the same genetic disease that killed my older sister. I never made mention of this to any other member of my family. Just last year he not only confirmed that I have this disease, but also informed me that I have an aneurysm in my ascending aorta that is measuring at 3.4 cm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Sorry, had to add this: I haven't said a word to my family, with the exception of a niece who confronted me about some symptoms I was displaying (she knows 'cause she has it too) and my husband. My mother has a serious heart condition, she is in fragile health and she jumps if any of us even cough around her, she is that scared of losing another child. It makes it even harder 'cause my dad just recently died........I am about to do a CT Angio w/contrast 'cause my doc thinks (as do I) that my aneurysm may be growing, and I am waiting to hear if I am going to need surgery, if I do, I will be forced to tell my mom.
    Anonymous

• Am I hadling this correctly? I don't want to shock anyone, but I know that if I tell any of the other members of my family, they'll slip up and my mom will find out.
    Anonymous

• I think you have handled it bravely and with the utmost care and concern for your family. I wish you the best of luck and good health.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 10:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Wow that is really hard. I know my Grandmother in law has lost 2/3 children, and she is so paranoid about everything. All I know is she gets very upset if we keep any health issues about us or the kids from her.
    Jessiemay999

Answer by Jessiemay999 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thanks Blue, but I really don't feel very brave. There are times I just sit and cry and wonder what will happen to my boys if I die: a thought that has a very strong possibility to become reality . I worry about my husband and how he's gonna handle two little boys and my mom, who will take care of her? I am so scared out of my mind, and I really can't talk to anyone about it, that's probably the toughest part.
    Anonymous

• I think that you are doing a great job. I would however tell my mom. She is my rock no matter what. You have to decide what to tell your mom and what not to. You are the only person that can make that decision. Your husband and your boys will be fine. It will of course be hard, but love will see them through this. I will pray that you CT and angio go well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• thank you, prayers are welcomed and appreciated!
    Anonymous