Milk Alert...thoughts, concerns?

Milk Alert

Dear Feingold members & friends, 

The dairy industry has petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to change their rules governing what is allowed to be put in milk and other dairy products. The industry's main goal is to be able to add synthetic sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose (Splenda), and other such chemicals, to dairy products without having to tell the consumer. 

The articles that are coming out on this proposal have been confusing, but that's not surprising since the wording of the dairy industry's petition is vague and confusing! 

The petition discusses adding the sweeteners to flavored milks -- marketed widely to schools -- but without labeling the milk as being lower in sugar or calories because the children would not like that. (So they apparently believe that the typical student, with about 12 minutes to eat lunch, is going to actually read his milk carton!) 

The dairy industry claims that this will help reduce childhood obesity, even though studies have shown that fake sweeteners actually increase the desire for sweet foods and can cause weight gain. 

Moreover, the dairy industry claims consumers don't know that flavored milks are sweetened anyhow, and such changes will "promote honesty and fair dealing." What they have neglected to say is that with the sale of milk steadily declining, this is an effort to boost sales, especially in schools wanting to limit sugar. 

The Federal Register says the FDA wants to know if you think this is a great idea. 

To let the FDA know what you think, CLICK HERE

Thank you,

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 7:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Health

• I've read about this in other places. I think it's disgusting and horrible. Unfortunately, the food industry gets away with a lot of stuff like this. MSG and other additives are easily hidden in plain sight on a label and the FDA does nothing.

The simple fix - don't buy flavored milks, make your own if you want them. Regular milk is still its own giant ball of "WTF?!"
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:39 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• there is a lot of garbage in all of our foods. I have started to keep a better eye on the ingredients lately.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Disgusting. I already only buy organic milk because of all the hormones and crap, and I have to read all the labels to make sure our foods don't have HFCS or artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners may be lower in calories, but they open up another can of worms with health concerns. I'm glad I don't let my kids get hot lunch and milk at school. I'm always concerned about what could be in our foods, and that's assuming that the information is even ON the label. Next I will end up switching completely to organic almond milk.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:24 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• This is very disturbing to me. I don't rink flavored milk, but I assume my daughter probably will in school, if the option is available to her. Artificial sweeteners, especially Aspartame, trigger terrible migraines for me. My daughter has already had at least one migraine, so I've kept her away from Aspartame, just in case. I think it's an outrage that the industry wants to not only use the sweeteners, but especially use them without putting them on the label. That dishonesty tells me they already know consumers wouldn't be pleased with the addition of artificial sweeteners to milk.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I really don't want aspartame in my milk. I'm sure there are worse things in our food though--like arsenic in rice.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 7, 2013