I feel like such an idiot!!

Ok, I know I am not the only one, but the thing is that I should know better! We are already in the negative this pay period. I have had to use the credit card for gas and groceries. The stupid thing is that I wanted to get out of the house today, and take a break, so I took the kids out to eat. We didn't order anything elaborate, but we spent about $40 on just eating out. This isn't a once in a while type of thing. I am not using any self control and I am digging us into a hole. Please don't bash but do any of you have any advice on how to change this behavior?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes, please bring on the advice....sounds just like me :(
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• No but I can tell you that you are not alone. I do it. My dd and her family do it. If someone has the answer I hope they pass that on!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Challenge yourself to not use the credit card for a week. See how that goes. Make it a game. If that goes well then challenge yourself to 2 weeks and keep upping it and eventually you will quit using it and get it paid off. That is what I did and all 8 of mine are gone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Lol I did that too! some times I just have the hardest time stopping spending money too! I have taken all of our credit&debit cards out of our wallet and put them in the desk and only carried cash for a while. It doesn't work when you have no cash left though.
    I have a friend who keeps her cc's in the freezer in a block of ice and thinks its harder to use them that way! She has to wait for them to defrost when she wants to buy something. usually by then she'll change her mind:)
    Jessiemay999

Answer by Jessiemay999 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I did something similar and for me it was because I so desperately needed to feel "normal". and not have to stress the whole lack of money thing......but you need to get over it and stop before you kill yourself financially. What made me stop was taking all the receipts and adding them up, when I saw it in black and white, the amount of cash that I was literally throwing away just to feel good...I almost threw up! I can only speak for myself, but for me it was understanding that I was depressed and acting out of this depression that made me understand it and stop it. Good luck, it is a tough situation to be in.
    Anonymous

• Freeze your credit card! Seriously, put it in a bowl of water and freeze it!!!! It wont hurt it-but it will help! Or, just cut it up (but thats dangerous if emergencies arrise)..........I did that with ours and didnt touch it for over a year! Also, find free things in your community or just take a walk in the park or something-instead of paying.....or take food from the house and do a picnick just to get out!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• If you will be in the black next payday and your bills are not past due then there is no harm... just pay it next payday. Buuuut if everything is about to get reposessed then that is a different story. There are picnics and parks if you were really just wanting a break. Most kids love packing up sandwiches, chips, cookies and drinks and heading to the park. If it is raining I would just stay home and play games, eat popcorn, and watch movies.
    Dave Ramsey says to DITCH the Credit Cards. He is a professional financial advisor.
    Granna2006

Answer by Granna2006 at 11:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Divert your and your kids energy into another resource, volunteering. Also, pack lunches.

A good resource to find places needing volunteer help is visiting your town's chamber of commerce. Or if there's a Main Street Program in your town, visit it too. This is also a great way to get acquainted with your town's elite.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 12:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I understand,I do the same thing.So, I started working from home and I use that money for bills,saving,and spending. Are you able to have a job just for bills or debt? Good luck!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Try this... it helped me.
    Put the cards in a lock box and give someone else the key (your SO, BFF, whoever) as long as it's someone that you know will hold you responsible for the purchases you make and will ask you to explain them before you make them, someone who will hold you accountable and will help you hold yourself accountable. Then there is a 'check-out' process.... goes like this.
    You want something - you think you'll use the card to get it - write that thing down, what it cost, what the interest on the credit card is, and how much you'll wind up paying if you don't pay it off in a month. Then write down how much you can afford to pay on that cc this month, wait 24 hours and then get the card - IF you've decided that the purchase was important enough to finance it.
    Cuz that's what ur doing with cc purchases; ur financing whatever you buy, with interest.
    $40 + 17% = 46.80 (was lunch worth that)? or cut up the cc
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2009