Which is better? Healthier?

I want to start a workout routine but need help. I was told I have to eat breakfast first. Then I was told by someone else that it's better on an empty stomach. Which burns calories faster and healthier?

PISCIS29

Asked by PISCIS29 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I find that I cannot get a quality workout in without eating a little carbs first. 1 piece of quality toast or a small portion of oatmeal. I burn out fast without it and get queezy.
    the 2 concepts that are contantly disputed:
    1) eat first - you need to put fuel in your body so that you begin the metabolism burn in your body and thereby go directly into calorie burn mode and will burn more calories post workout and throughout the day
    argument against: if you eat first, you'll only be burning the calories you take in.
    2) don't eat first - by not eating you are forced to go straight to fat burn mode
    argument against - if you don't put food in first, your body stays in nighttime starvation mode thereby NOT burning fat but burning muscle and slowing your metabolism the rest of the day. Plus your post workout meal will be stored as fat since you are in that starvation mode.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I've seen both in different places. And I've read somewhere else that you should just do whatever works best for you. If you feel better working out after you eat, you should. If you feel better working out on an empty stomach, then you should do that. So I go with that now. Some days I eat first, others I don't.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:03 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• how I see it, metabolism is like a fire... you have to feed that fire slow and steady to maintain a constant burn. If you put morning fuel in and then stoke the fire, you get a nice flame and strong start to your daily metabolism burn. If you just try to work off of the embers from the day before without adding new fuel before you stoke the fire, you're liable to put the fire out all together.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• honestly, I have to eat first- or I feel nauseous

I think you just go with what works for you- some eat before, some don't
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:04 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I feel sick to my stomach if I eat first. It works better for me to exercise in the morning and then eat afterward. The thing is just to do it, one way or another. Sometimes I think too much is made of the details.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:29 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• This is my problem, too!
    I want to run on the treadmill, but without coffee, I can't even walk let alone run.
    If I have breakfast and run, I feel sick, but I seriously can't function without coffee.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• If you workout first thing in the morning, eat a small serving of protein like a cup of yogurt or hard boiled egg. After your workout you can eat a light breakfast like a bowl of cereal or something. You don't want too much in your stomach (especially liquids) or else you'll cramp up but you need something to kick start your system plus you'll probably get really hungry half way through your workout.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Always eat breakfast before exercise.
    1. Eat within a hour of waking up (waken up your metabolism to start burning calories asap).
    2. Eat at least 100 calories and try to stay under 400 calories.
    3. Always eat breakfast before exercise.
    a. Eat a hour before exercise.
    b. Eat at least an apple ect...something so that your body does not burn the wrong fuel. It will not burn from the fat reserves as we would like it to. Your body is smart and if you have not eaten it will reserve it "starvation mode".
    Breakfast ideas:
    1. Oatmeal and a handful of berries
    2. Egg (or egg beaters) with veggies
    3. Low sugar cereal, at least 9grams or less per serving.
    4. whole wheat toast with peanut butter (with no hydrogenated oils) and a piece of fruit.
    And a Tip that works:!
    Drink a tall glass of ICE water every morning asap. It will flatten your stomach and waken your metabolism. Try it for a week! Add lemon fo
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Some people do better eating before (like me), some people get nauseated. I get lightheaded if I don't. Do what works for you. Experiment! I need at least 100 calories before I can exercise in the mornings. A banana or a kid's granola bar (I love Bunny Bars) does the trick.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:05 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/09/10/facts-and-myths-about-fueling-up-before-your-workout
    Again you should always eat before exercise so you do not want to burn the wrong fuel. But eating TOO soon before exercise can make you sick. That is why you want to wait at least a hour.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2013