Breastfeeding And Bottles.

So I EBF but sometimes when I want a break, I pump for my boyfriend to feed her. My DD is almost 4 months old. At about 6 weeks is when I started this. Well I quit for awhile and now when we try to give her a bottle, she won't take it. She screams bloody murder til I finally give in and feed her. (Cause I can't stand her crying like that it hurts my heart Lol). My question is this, why is she not taking the bottle now? And how can I get her to take it again? Thank you for answers. :D

Sparta.

Asked by Sparta. at 10:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's probably refusing because you're there. If you went to your mom's house and smelled her best cookies baking, how would you feel if she offered you a couple of stale store-bought cookies instead? And then waved the fresh baked ones under your nose but wouldn't let you have them?

That's what's going on here.

Save the bottles for when you're not around.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It is hard b/c she is used to nursing and that is what comforts her. I would say keep trying. There is nothing wrong with her taking a bottle once in a while b/c mom needs a break.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:47 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• There is a bottle that is very similar to the breast, I'm sure someone will come on here knowing the name. Another key thing is to not be in the room, she won't want to accept the bottle when she can see you right there.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Playtex has an awesome nipple. I'm not sure what its called, but the tip of it is flat and wide. Its great. Its sort of like the MAMS pacifier nipples!!! HTH.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Try having someone else feed her while you are not around. That way she can't see/hear/smell you. I had to do that with my son. What kind of bottles are you using? We used Playtex Drop-ins and they worked really well because they're wide like your breast!
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Nuk is the brand that enhances breastfeeding! My daughter gets a bottle once a wk and that's the only kind that works for us! Gl
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 11:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Breastflow bottles are great too, shaped like a nipple. Just google breastflow bottles.

I agree that you should wait until you would normally feed her (so she'll be hungry), then have DH give her a bottle while you leave the room.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Have your boyfriend imitate exactly how you feed her. If you are topless, have him take his shirt off, if you use a boppy pillow have him try that too. And have him squirt some into her mouth. Make sure you are NOWHERE near him when he does this. Also, try taking the shirt you've been wearing off and tuck it in between Daddy and baby, so your baby will smell you.

We use Playtex Ventiare Wide bottles, and my dd goes from breast to bottle just fine, but she's never had an issue....we used the method I just explained to you from the start.

And the previous posters are right- when you're around, why would she choose to settle for a bottle when she knows she can get the real thing?

Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:33 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Thank you for your answers! Usually I try not to be around when my SO is feeding her. But sometimes I am. Last night for example, I went out to the bar for a few hours, yes I did get trashed, all in the hopes that DD would eat from a bottle. Well, she didn't. I ended up passing out, lol, (can you tell I've drank twice since she's been born lol), and the SO tells me she didn't eat all night or morning til I woke up. So to sum it up, I wasn't here and she still didn't eat....
    Sparta.

Answer by Sparta. at 1:52 PM on Feb. 16, 2009