did you know its legal in California to deny medical coverage based on not meeting weight height requirements?

I tried to pay for my own coverage because I lost my job and cobra was unbelievable. My kid was approved(thank heavens) and I was denied..because Im too fat. Can you believe that?

Then I found underwriting guidelines for Kaiser. Seems that Aids, Gestational Diabetes, preganancy within the last year and cancer are legit reasons to deny coverage.

Im disgusted.

Just thought everyone should know.

Im 5'1. I cant be over 132 lbs or I dont qualify.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• yeah i knew that. overweight can mean health problems.

MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Other insurers can charge you an arm and a leg but still accept you. We looked at Anthem Blue Cross, but it was more pricey than COBRA.

Your child might also qualify for the state's Healthy Families program, depending on your income level.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• That is horrible. Oh sure, we'll cover ya since you're perfectly healthy and you will never be going to the dr. People who have health problems are the ones who need coverage. Being overweight is a HORRIBLE reason to deny coverage. Many overweight people are still perfectly healthy.

I agree! It disgusts me also.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• yep...bullshi t.... watch SICKO...he does a total investigation on those jerks,. Aren't ya proud to be an american when it comes down to stuff like that??? I'm not.
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 11:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Ha, there are overweight people without health problems and there are smokers without lung cancer, but the risks are increased dramatically in both instances. Lose some weight. It's in your control. Eat smaller portions (most Americans have difficulty with this) and get out and move. I really don't see the injustice here. Had they said "your overweight, so we aren't going to give your kid coverage," I'd see it, but the situation really is in your control
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• what??? is this chick above me serious????
    mamakat21

Answer by mamakat21 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Dead serious. Being overweight is a choice that causes serious health problems. The number one indicator that a person is at risk for coronary heart disease is OBESITY. Sleep apnea, liver and gallbladder diseases, many types of cancer, sleep apnea, and type 2 diabetes are just the tip of the iceberg for health risks associated with being overweight. If I were an insurance agency, I wouldn't cover people who were potentially going to cost me a lot of money because of a lifestyle that they are in control of.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 5:28 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Being fat brings with it many other health issues, either currently or further down the line. Insurance companies are still businesses and it costs them money to pay for all the medications, treatments and doctor visits that obese people incur. They do the same thing to people who smoke. Very few people in America actually have a legitimate disorder that causes excessive weight gain, although doctors will often soften the blow for people and tell them they have one anyway. Welcome to America, where it's never your fault. Try losing weight, I mean actually try, not some fad diet or doing pilates for 20 minutes a day. Run for two miles or more every day, cut out ALL junk food, cook healthier and stop eating out so much.

I know I know, "everyone is different.....blah blah blah". Diet and exercise has worked for millions of people for decades, nothing is different today other than collective laziness.
    ashpat79

Answer by ashpat79 at 8:02 AM on Feb. 18, 2009