How do I quit smoking?

I have tried so many times. I quit for 6 months and went back last week. I am so stressed both my parents are terminally ill.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Health

• I know what you're going through. Started smoking at 11 & have quit a dozen times. Once for 2 or 3 years, but I always end up right back to it. It's a lifelong battle. You have to stop making excuses as to why you feel the need to smoke, & replace those w/ reasons why you don't want to. Smell bad, food tastes better, feel better, healthier, better example to your kids,all the money you'll save etc. Chew really strong gum, exercise, keep yourself busy. I'm currently trying to talk myself into quitting as well. You can also try an electronic cig. for when the cravings are really bad, but you don't want to use that as a quitting tool, because from past ex. I can say that it really doesn't work.... I wish you the best. Make a decision to quit, follow through w/ it, stick to it. You can do it!! You're a lot stronger than you think you are!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 4:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Don't smoke them. Don't have them around.

<3 nicorette always has coupons on their website. Find another outlet for your stress. Like exercise.

Drink TONS of water.

Chew on flavored toothpicks. Chew gum. Twiddle a pen in your fingers. Go outside and take deep breaths of fresh air for 3 minutes.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Talk to your Dr. There are a lot of options now like Nicorette etc.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Try an electronic cigarette
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• My mom and husband both quit by taking Zyban. It worked within a couple of weeks and both have been smoke free for 10 years. They both say that Zyban changed the taste of cigarettes for them, so the thought of smoking makes them sick.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:50 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• My parents both smoked for over 40 years and tried everything from quitting cold-turkey (worked for me) to patches to pills and nothing worked for them. Then last year they tried the electronic cigarette and they have been without a cigarette since.

Now, with that said, a friend of mine works with a lady who tried the electronic cigarette and it didn't work for her.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• There are many online resources if you just google it.

Also, try not to be too hard on ourself. It's been said that quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroin. It sounds like the stress is your trigger and while nothing will make having terminally ill parents less stressful, perhaps therapy might help with your emotional needs at to time.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Let me see if I read this correctly? You are so stressed that your parents are dying, that you've decided to lead a less healthy lifestyle, and cut years off your own life?
    That should make them proud.

PUT DOWN THE SMOKES AND BE THERE FOR YOUR FAMILY!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2013