What's a Water Birth Like?

I am interested in a water birth- would you recommend these to first time mothers? (me) I am really sensitive to feeling numb- I HATE the feeling of it- but I also suffer from panic disorder and don't know what I should do. Feeling numb causes me to have an attack sometimes...need some advice!

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 10:51 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i hate feeling numb or when anything that has to do with my body feels "funny" i also have the same problems with panic attacks....so i can relate to your questions.. i have never had a water birth but i can say that since this is your 1st baby dont be afraid of the epideral if thast what your afraid of. i did really well and your going to be right there with all kinds of nurses and staffs and doctors so if you get paranoid at any time, just know that you are safe and nothing bad is going to happen. hope this helps :)
    Anonymous

• I would check into waterbirth,even get a tour at your hospital to see if this option would work for you to ease your anxiety,since there can be reasons it is not allowed,like if you may be higher risk or have an infection.
    There is even classes offered to help you,depending on your hospital.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• A natural, out of hospital birth, is safe for ALL mothers, even first time mothers! Statistically, for low risk pregnancies, out of hospital births are SAFER than hospital births.. there are far more risks being in a hospital, and having a medicated birth, than having a natural birth.

You should look into birth centers in your area, even home birth midwives. Midwives are equipped to handle ever emergency. The only difference is that they don't do cesareans.. but they DO and WILL transfer you to a hospital if you need to go!

I would never recommend the epidural, at all, nor drugs. (My first birth was a hospital birth and it was awful.. epidural free but did receive half a dose of nubain :( )

Here is a great site on water birth: (just copy and paste the urls)
    http://www.waterbirth.org/mc/page.do
    http://www.waterbirthinfo.com/
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I have had 2 waterbirths.
    They were truly comforting & relaxing, the water eased the intensity from the contractions a lot! It was nice to feel so weightless and move easily to cope with the contractions. And I loved that the water gave me a "space bubble" that kept my space private & personal. It was like a Keep Out sign, lol!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:23 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Waterbirths are the best!

Think about it...the baby is going from one warm fluid environment to another! Really lessens the shock to the child.

I would highly recommend it!

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• your going to be right there with all kinds of nurses and staffs and doctors so if you get paranoid at any time, just know that you are safe

rolling on flooryeah, right.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My waterbirth was amazing! I had a waterbirth with my first (and only) baby and I will never do it another way. :) If you want to you can request me as a friend and look at my birth story and pictures. Seriously, it was the best decision I could have made. It made it so easy to move around and get in a comfortable position and it reduces your risk of tearing. I didn't tear at all and my son was 7 lbs 12 oz (and I'm small)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• there's my girl, autodidact!!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• but to contribute to the question..I would LOVE to have a water birth. Unfortunately, my state has very limited options and my insurance will not pay for a midwife GRRRRRRR. I am dedicated to having this baby the best way I can even though it is not the way PREFER. If you have the choice to do WB...TAKE IT!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had one for my only DD (now 4 months) and it was truly the most incredible experience and I would NEVER do it any other way. I was at a birth center and it was SO peaceful, relaxing and easy! It was my first time too and I absolutely recommend it. With your issues, I would definitely recommend getting the heck out of the hospital if you can. I would think being in that environment is going to make you so much more stressed, uncomfortable and panicked. Think about it, a dozen random doctors and nurses crowding the bed you are confined to screaming at you to do this, do that, or a quiet, tranquil birth center (or better yet, your own home!) in a warm bath with just you, your DH and a midwife who you know!
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 1:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2009