My granddaughter's cheerleading sponsor has refused to meet with the parents saying that the girls are now adults ( 15-17 yrs) and that they should be able to take care of themselves. My question is: are 15-17 year olds considered adults?

This is a school cheerleading squad.  I think that the sponsor doesn't want to deal with the parents.  But, what she doesn't realize is that if she is planning to have fund raisers or cheer competitions at the school, she will need the help of the parents.  She is shutting the parents out and that could come back to haunt her should she ever need their help.  As far as the safety of the girls, I don't have any worries there.  I just think she has overstepped her boundaries.

Asked by sjrg1954 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• In what regard??

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:43 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• No.

Answer by staciandababy at 1:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Something sounds shady there. No minors are not adults. It throws up red flags for me like something's going on that the sponsors don't want parents knowing. That's how minors get lured into doing things they may not want to do but a good manipulator (pedophiles) get away with stuff. Not saying the sponsors are pedophiles, just saying they should know better than to have a policy like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Legally, no, and the attitude of the sponsor seems odd to me. Why do the parents want a meeting?

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• They are not adults. Maybe he means that they are old enough to start taking responsibility for things themselves, rather than having their parents handle everything?

Even so, I don't think it's the best way to handle it. The parents should be involved, at least to a degree.

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:45 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• No, and if they are left unsupervised and something happens, this twat's ass will be on the line, big time!

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:46 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• That's just plain wrong. My experience with cheerleading is that the leaders can have a touch of crazy. I would be showing up to practices and if they balked I would yank my kid and notify the school or organization they are competing in.

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Is this a school cheerleading squad? The school should have regulations against that type of policy since many teachers (male and female) are reportedly having sex with students at those ages and in some states 15 is the age of consent! This is just wrong on so many levels. I'd dig deeper into this, even contact past cheerleaders to see what they say. Making kids feel grown up is a way to make them like them (the sponsors) but it's also a way to lead to unsavory behavior by allowing them to make decisions without a parents input. Now I'm going to worry!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:48 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• something doesn't sound right

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Do you mean the so called sponsor is not going to sponsor them any more because of there age?

Answer by louise2 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 7, 2013