How many minutes should I go stand up tanning if going for the first time?

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Did some of the posts not read the question? It doesn't ask should she lay in the tanning bed but for how long she should lay! If you are fair skinned, then 5 minutes. I layed for the first time the other day and layed 10 but I have an olive complexion!

• Are you talking about a UV-ray tanner? Zero. Go for a spray tan instead. Really.

There has been a huge increase in the number of young women with melanoma because of tanning beds.

Sorry. I lost a colleague to melanoma many years ago. She was quite young. As a result I'm very opposed to tanning.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• No more than 5 if your fair skin! Hex's burn you ALOT faster in my opinion and experience!

Answer by Jaedyn0507 at 11:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• natural sun is much better. My sisters in-law go to tanners and their skin look a lot older than mine and I'm older. I do a spray tan.
    If you do go to a tanner it should be 6 minutes for the first time. Those beds can get very hot.

Answer by gammie at 12:12 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If you want to keep looking young stay out of those tanners. They are not good for you. SAVE YOUR SKIN
    Celebrities use spray tan.

Answer by gammie at 12:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• There are great lotion tanners that are very gradual. There are no UV rays and you still get the same effect. I am afraid of tanning as I have seen so many women who have faces that look like leather. If you must tan, cover your face.

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2009