What would you do if you found a knife in your child's birthday cake?

It was little Cayden Bibeau's 2nd birthday party. His family and friends were gathered to celebrate, and after he blew out the candles on his Elmo birthday cake, everyone was ready to dig into the sugary goodness. Only when they went to cut into it, what they found baked inside of the cake was anything but sweet -- a knife.

It appears that somewhere in the production of the cake, which came from a Walmart in Lewiston, Maine, a paring knife was left behind in it. What a big, huge bummer. Of course, no one wanted to eat the cake after that, but what the parents did next was ridiculous.

They canceled the whole darn party right then and there. Cayden's father told WGME he was so "disappointed and upset" they may even sue the super store because that knife"put a dampener" on everything.

Even more dramatically, he added, "We're not going to get that second birthday back ever."

Seriously, dude? I can imagine it was disappointing, and hey, I like cake too. But to have your son's birthday party ruined by such a little thing is ridiculous. Mistakes happen. He could have run out to the store and been back with a new one, and even if it wasn't Elmo, everyone would have been just as happy with anything coated in buttercream. It's not like it was a dead rat or something else incredibly disgusting in there -- it was a knife. I suppose someone could have gotten hurt, but it would have had to be a gigantic bite of cake for someone not to notice a knife in there.

It's unfortunate, but ... get over it. Parenting is filled with so many huge ups and downs, mistakes and missteps, that if you allow something like this to completely ruin a special day, you're in for a long and hard journey. Walmart apologized and offered to give them arefund and says they've made changes in their cake production process, which should be enough. Unfortunately, for some people, nothing ever is.

Do you think this family is overreacting? What would you do if this happened to you?

I personally think Walmart just offering a refund is like a slap in the face. It's like they didn't care a knife was baked into their cake and sold. They were just refunding to try and make the parents happy. I would be rasing hell. I wouldn't have canceled the child's birthday party. Who knows what the knife was used before it was "accidently" left in the cake. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I'd have contacted the nearest jail and asked who ordered an Elmo cake? I mean OBVIOUSLY it was meant as an escape attempt via prison riot......course maybe the guy wanted it for self defense, after all it was an ELMO cake so he was probabbly fidning life on the inside kind of difficult. His inmates clearly have no respect for a talking red muppet, nor the man who loves him.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:22 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• From the looks of the picture, the knife isn't so much in the cake as underneath it. Still disappointing? Yes. The one thing that ruined everything that was good about the day? Not really in my opinion. Yes, it's surprising and somewhat disgusting, but nobody got hurt. And really, what is Wal-Mart supposed to do? The most I could see happening is a refund of the cake and a gift card for the equivalent amount. Anything else would be ridiculous considering nobody got injured or ill.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:23 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I would have taken it back to walmart while the others carried on with the birthday party.
    Mine would have replaced the cake and probably given me a walmart cart to use for something else for our trouble.
    It is not nice, but it happens.

Be a grown up and get over it.
    Really he is only two but what are you teaching? I will tell you go ballistic over small things that can be fixed and have a nervous breakdown when it is something big.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:52 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• This is terrible but you can't sue unless there are damages...

Answer by older at 5:12 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Cancelling the child's birthday was the only part I disagree with, really. But I don't get it. Usually the cake comes towards the end of a party so how did they "cancel" anything? Did they play games, open presents, sing HBD, blow out candles, and then see a knife, freak, and kick everyone out? Anyway, yes I agree Walmart should have done more than just offer a refund. I'm not sure if it's law suit-worthy (though it might stand with a good lawyer) but I would have been pissed too.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• They way overreacted and ruined the birthday on their own. It was a screw up with the cake, no one was hurt, no one died. Get the hell over it already. Refunding the price of the cake was a way to make good, I don't know what else they should have done. They changed their processes as well so this wouldn't happen again. People are way too sue happy and that dad is a drama queen.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:27 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• those parents are fucking morons. Sue? sue for what??? lol
    Get over it, move on and teach your kid that there are disapointments in life but we must make the most of it.

Yes, I'd demand a refund and be done with it and NEVER buy from walmart again.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• I get not eating the cake, but the rest? No. Cancelling the party was stupid. All they needed to do was run out real quick, get a new cake, finish the day like nothing happened, and then take the other cake back and get a refund and an apology. That's it. Suing is ridiculous. No one was stabbed, no one got cut or swallowed the knife or anything like that. There's no reason to sue. Get your money back, get an apology, tell everyone you know what happened so they can watch for knives in their cakes (not really! lol), and then move on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:47 PM on Mar. 7, 2013

• Wow. I would have wanted a refund and I would have brought this to the attention of the department of health in my state. Yuck. This would bring their sanitation grade down I am betting.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:14 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I would sue. Hard.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:01 PM on Mar. 7, 2013