whats wrong with being induced...?

My doctor induced me at 40 weeks and 3 days...
Why do some mom's on here think this is wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you don't mind the use of a bunch of drugs in your body, then I don't have a problem with induction.
    Personally, I wouldn't induce because induction increases the likelyhood that a woman will need a cesarian, it hasn't been proven safe for babies (in longitudinal studies), it decreases the chances that you'll be able to do a birth without using pain meds (which many women are not opposed to), it brings on unnaturally strong contractions that pose a health risk for the baby. Those are my main reasons, and I'm sure that women have others.
    I'd suggest going to thebusinessofbeingborn.com and watching this very informative documentary
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• As above, induction creates risks. Doctors are often more concerned with their schedule and want to make things run their way and thus push inducing.

There is a high risk of placenta detachment, which causes hemorhage.

Also, the effects on the fetus can lead to low heart rate, causing insufficient amounts of oxygen in circulation.

A good doctor and nursing team will monitor you like a hawk if you're induced. There's a reason for this. I had to be induced...42 weeks and baby losing weight. There is also risks for going past term b/c the placenta does start declining in function.
    super_mommy4

Answer by super_mommy4 at 11:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I was induced twice my third was natural, the first one i completely agreed with, it was medically needed i was very sick with a very bad flu bug at the time, it was so bad that year people were dying, as soon as i was strong enough the doctors induced me and i am thankful they did my son was 9.5 and two weeks early and he had some problems from me being so sick.

the second time the doctor just did it because he was leaving hte hospital and wanted me to deliver before he left he claimed that becuse i had a big baby the first time i should do it again, my son and i almost died because of that induction i labored for a week i am not joking about that either litterally a week.

when i had my daughter i went completely natural she came two weeks late it was easier, i recovered faster, felt amazingly good right after birth, if i could go back i would only have that first induction, they are dangerous when not needed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Induction can lead to more interventions. Best case, you walk out with just a baby. But often you'll also have perineal tearing, and possibly a c-section.

Worst case, either you or the baby doesn't leave the hospital in a car but rather a hearse. Rare but it CAN happen.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I had very high blood pressure and was a candidate for a stroke at 32 weeks. My doctor told me I would need to be hospitalized, with no guarantees I still wouldn't have a stroke. The other option would be to be induced, if I did not have the babies within the week. I gave birth a few days later, but I could have been induced. I don't think it was such a bad thing. I didn't care about the drugs they'd have to give me. It beat the idea of death by stroke.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 1:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• the more they intervene, the more likely you are to wind up with a C section.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:34 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Just because some MASECTOMIES are necessary doesn't mean it's a good idea to cut off all women's breasts, either.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Inductions like c sections should only be done when needed not for the moms convenience. Babies deserve to come into the world when ready not because mom wants to avoid stretch marks or is simply tired of being pregnant. We wonder why we have a high infant mortality rate this is one of the reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Many and most inductions are done for the health of mother or baby. Unfortunately, some people do it out of convenience as they do with c-sections. Without my emergency c-section, dd and I would both have died. I wasn't induced. I went into labor naturally and then my body just stopped working. In defense of the drs, they waited too long in my opinion, to decide on the c-section. It was awful, nothing wonderful about that experience, I thought I was dying. Finally, they gave me the c-section and dd was here and safe. I think any ELECTIVE procedure is putting your baby at risk!! If I could have had a beautiful vaginal birth, I would have loved to. That's what I had imagined all along, but nope, she didn't fit through my pelvis. So sad for me as I have seen friends and my sister have such beautiful births. My next child will be born through c-section also as the reason for this one will carry on to the next. So sad
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• In a nutshell, if there is a medical reason for it, there's nothing wrong with it. If it's going to save the life of the mom and/or baby, there is nothing wrong with it.

As for "some moms on here thinking it's wrong"...some are anti-everything that doesn't match their beliefs, some believe everything they've read even from non-reputable sites, some believe everything they hear...there's a variety of reasons, really. And they are all entitled to their opinions just as we all are.....

It only becomes a problem when they try to force their opinions (this or any topic) on those asking a question or making a statement.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2009