How do you know if you are producing enough milk?

After breast feeding our 1 month old he still seems hungry. I feel empty, yet he is screaming for more! What should I do? Should I give him formula also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always wondered the same thing when I first had my son. During the first three months or so, your breasts are still getting use to how much milk your baby eats. Every time your little one nurses, it stimulates your body to make more and tells it that it has to keep up with demand. I know it can be tempting to throw some formula in the mix so you can "see" how much he's getting and so you can give your boobs a break - but when you do that, it's like telling your body your little one doesn't need those 4 (or however many) ounces, and you start a vicious cycle that can end up supply issues.

I thought my son was going to be permanently attached to the boob until my boobs feel off... but happily, once he got old enough to be interested in the world around him (about two/three months or so) he found lots of other things to keep his attention and went to nursing every 3 or 4 hours or so. Check out www.kellymom.com!
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Diaper count! As long as he's producing 6-8 wet diapers per day, no need to worry. Babies have a strong need to suck, and he may just want to suck- whether it be on you or a binky.

Giving formula will only sabotage your supply- if it ends up that you DO have a supply problem, which less than 3% of women ACTUALLY do, there are ways to produce more.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• If you have any more questions, feel free to message me- I felt the same way when my dd was a month old, and she is 8 months old now and has never had formula!
    kynziesmom

• you can buy fenugreek from GNC...
    It increases milk supply. It worked WONDERS for me and my DD. And its pretty cheap, if you dont have a local store you can get it at GNC.com
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Let him keep nursing it stimulates milk production. He is around growth spurt age.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• DO NOT give him formula! It will cause you a problem. Infant screaming only means he's a normal baby.

Count dipes. 6-8 per day.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Dont give formula!! If he still seems hungry after he ate, nurse him again! Nurse on demand and stop watching the clock. Let him eat whenever he wants and for as long as he wants. Your breasts are never empty, they make milk as your baby nurses. So the more you nurse, the more you'll make.

As already said, count diapers. If you diaper count is good then rest assured that your child is getting enough to eat :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Even if you FEEL empty, you probably aren't. Your body is always making milk. So, if he seems hungry after nursing, just nurse more. As long as he's having the appropriate amount of diapers, he is getting enough. ACTING hungry doesn't necessarily mean he is. Babies are fussy, and in my experience, they like to trick you a lot. Sounds to me like you've got a standard issue baby. :) Keep on nursing on demand, and things will be fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• if he is feeding sucsifully from u, give him a binky it could be he just wants to suck,i had this problem with my lil girl.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:40 AM on Feb. 16, 2009