Travel by train

I have travelled by many means but never by train. My ride is going to be 8hrs. Any info on what I can do on the ride, what the ride will be like, etc.

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 11:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2013 in Travel

• What the ride will be like will depend very much on the comfort inside the train, the age of the train, the speed of the train, whether it's pressurized or not, the number of stops and distance between them. It's not unpleasant :)

Take lots of things to do - I see people with portable DVD players and headphones a lot, maybe take your laptop if you want to work or play, perhaps a book, couple of magazines (reading is easy but it's not so easy to write because of the vibrations), knitting, that kind of thing. Basically, anything you can do on an airplane you can do on a train.

Make sure you have all your valuables (money, ID, ticket, other papers) in a small bag that youi can have on you all the time for when you go to the toilet because they tend to be small and cramped (like on airplanes). Don't forget to get up and walk up and down the corridors to stretch your legs regularly.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:57 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I have never ridden one either so I will want you to tell us all about it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'd do what winterglow said and also bring a snack and drink, but I'd look for the cafe car too. It's a change of pace to sit in there for a while sometimes on a long trip. Trains are a nice way to travel. Have fun!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It is sheer heaven, you can read and let them do the transporting.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2013

• Some long distance trains also have all glass cars so you can see the scenery. My friend went from Ohio to Cal,this was her experience
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:42 AM on Mar. 18, 2013