North Korea threatens “a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the US and S. Korea

SEOUL, South Korea — Angrily responding to the United Nations Security Council’s unanimous decision to impose tightened sanctions, North Korea said on Friday that it was nullifying all nonaggression agreements with South Korea, with one of its top generals claiming that his country had nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missiles ready to blast off.  Matching the harsh warning with a toughened stance, South Korea said on Friday that if Pyongyang attacks the South with a nuclear weapon,  the regime of the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, "will be erased from the earth.”

While weapons experts say North Korea does not have the technical capability to use nuclear-tipped missiles, that did not stop it from warning of their deployment.

"With their targets set, our intercontinental ballistic missiles and other missiles are on a standby, loaded with lighter, smaller and diversified nuclear warheads," said Kang Pyo-yong, a three-star general and vice defense minister of North Korea. "If we push the button, they will blast off and their barrage will turn Washington, the stronghold of American imperialists and the nest of evil, and its followers, into a sea of fire." 

It is also possible that the new and isolated North Korean government may have misjudged the reaction to talk of a pre-emptive nuclear attack, wording rarely heard since the cold war ended. It could be another way in which the North is demanding talks with President Obama — only last week Mr. Kim told Dennis Rodman, the visiting former basketball star, that he wanted Mr. Obama to call him. But it could also be a way of saying that North Korea now expected to be treated the way Pakistan is: as an established, if formally unrecognized, nuclear power.  The United Nations vote and North Korea’s threat come at a time when, internally, the Obama administration is debating the wisdom of its policy of essentially ignoring the North for the past four years, and responding to any provocations with new sanctions.  

Anyway, this was just a highlight of this article, here is 2 sites where it tells what the S. Korean's said, and one that was said by the US in response to the threat..

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/07/us-korea-north-attack-idUSBRE9260BR20130307

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/09/world/asia/north-korea-sanctions.html?pagewanted=all

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• If he's going to do it he needs to let me know. I want to know if I need to go ahead and dye my roots and return my library books (getting on with my life). Personally I think the boy needs a serious spanking and I'm against spanking kids!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Yea, let him try. We will just go over their and drop kick them into space. We have our own nucs.

Answer by louise2 at 6:52 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I wonder what Dennis Rodman thinks now about his little buddy?

N. Korea could virtually collapse if the surrounding countries would open their borders. Citizens of N. Korea would leave that country so fast, there'd be no one left. They mistreat their citizens who are impoverished.

I don't think Kim Jung UN is serious, I think this is another attempt to get money and aid. If he made good on his threats, I don't think he'd get very far because they have too many enemies.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 7:50 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think this is another attempt to get money and aid.

^^ first thing that crossed my mind, however he doesn't like the sanctions so that's what brought this all about.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Yeah, the sanctions do prevent them from growing their economy but what do they expect us to do when their leader acts crazy and won't put the nukes away.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• i talked with an ex-Army officer last night and he said that N.Korea can't reach any US states with their nukes. they might be able to hit Guam and he said even that is a stretch. i would be worried about S.Korea tho and maybe Japan. but Kim Jong Un has got to know that one nuke fired and he's done. i think its just a cry for attention (like his daddy use to do) and a want for no sanctions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• The leader of North Korea reminds me of the ladybug in the kids' book, "The Grouchy Ladybug"--he better watch it or the whale's going to send him flying with a flick of its enormous tail. Only problem is, a lot of innocent people will get hurt. Scary.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Ya'll.....I am not talking about N. Korea launching nukes at us, they cannot do it......yet. But I am concerned about them launching a nuke at S. Korea. Or actually the more immediate danger lies in NK lack of nuclear security and safety standards and also refuses to let any inspectors in to inspect what kind of measure they may be taking, and the potential for terrorist groups to steal or gain access to sensitive weapons materials. Out of 32 countries thought to have nuclear weapons materials, they rank last in safety rating. They also bear all the hallmarks of a country most likely to enable horizontal proliferation: they are small, isolated from the international community, not allied with a nuclear weapons state or superpower, and have little to lose in international standing. And this is not me being paranoid, they have cooperated with Iran in the ballistic missiles trade,..........

cont...
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• ....and the 2007 discovery of a NK ship bound for Syria with sensitive nuclear materials. Plus others think they supplied Libya with stuff called Uranium hexafluoride which is a compound used in the uranium enrichment process that produces fuel for nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons. But nothing was ever really proven. All this started coming out more since the last last nuke test last month that was expressly forbidden to do so, but they did anyway.
    okmanders....you are absolutely right, but whats worse then a man wanting attention, recognition and wanting to prove himself to the world he has a bigger balls then his dad want to prove that?? Then the fact a woman is now a leading figure, and she is gonna tell him what to do?? Oh hell no! A dictator like this guy ain't gonna let a woman tell him what he can do and not do!
    And if NK can't nuke the US, they can have someone else do it....
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2013