I it gods will or him answering your prayer?

It's been said over and over how gods will can't be swayed. If god makes something happen its entirely on him. So why do people say their prayer was answered? That's suggesting god was listening to you out of millions of people and chose to favor you. And that your prayer somehow swayed god.
So which is it-gods will or power of prayer to convince your god to act in your favor over someone else?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Deep down they want to feel special and so thinking they swayed their all powerful god through their love, devotion and prayer makes them all tingly in the nether regions.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:24 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Can we really know? I trust the Bible and it does say our prayers affect God. There's a parable in the Gospels about a woman who kept going to the king about a matter and he granted her request because she was persistent. But, then you end up in a circular argument about which came first, the prayer or His will. Why can't it be both? After all, He is either all-knowing or He isn't. If He is God He'd have known before we asked and adjusted His plans long before. Besides, all these questions about prayer, ppl forget that prayer is communication between a person and God. Sometimes that's how He speaks to us and gets us to think about others' needs above our own.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 7:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Prayer is mostly about communication and fellowship with God. It's the means by which we get to know Him. It's not about our presenting him with a wish list. It is how we discover who God really is. I can't imagined life without that privilege.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• When I pray for things, I ask for what's on my heart, but above all I pray that God's will is done. I pray that if what I want is not within God's will that I will be content and at peace with the outcome.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I believe G-d answers every prayer, sometimes the answer's yes, sometimes it's not.
    But it's not because He "favors" certain people, it's simply because some people asked for the right thing. If I ask G-d for something that's not good for me, the answer will be "no", just as if my 6 year old asks for his own laptop the answer will be "no". If someone asks for something that's good for them, that will help them fulfill their mission, then the answer will be yes, just as if my 9 year old asks for a bycicle. It's not that I'm favoring my 9 year old over my 6 year old, it's that my 6 year old asked for something that he doesn't need and could be negative for him and my 9 year old asked for an age appropriate thing that can help him exercise and learn a new skill.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• People keep saying their prayers are answered. But the. Say it's just a way to have a relationship with god. If your prayers are answered then you are saying prayer alters gods will.
    Which contradicts the whole gods will idea.
    So which is it? Are your prayers answered by him specifically altering his will depending on what you asked of him? I'm talking about even such things as feeling peace and joy.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It's not about us changing God's will. You aren't going to like my answer but he's God, he's holy and greater than we are. I don't think that in our human mind we can possibly comprehend all that God is and does.
    I believe that God knows whether we're going to pray and what we're going to pray for way ahead of when it actually happens - and that's all worked in to His will. So while he is granting our prayers, he's created His will with that in mind, knowing what we are going to be asking for and whether or not that will be in our best interest.
    I'm not sure I answered that to your satisfaction, but it's the clearest I can make it. Sorry.

Answer by missanc at 10:18 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think that prayer just makes the person praying feel better for a short while. No one is listening. No one gives a damn. I want to believe otherwise but all the suffering that I see on a daily basis has led me to that conclusion.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• No, answered prayers don't alter G-d's will. It may well be you asked for something that was G-d's will. It may be that as you pray more and develop a stronger relationship with G-d, you grow spiritually, the thing that you wanted which would've been detrimental to your spiritual growth would no longer be bad for you.
    Let's say I'm praying for money. Maybe at this point in my spiritual development having money would stump my further growth, make me focus on material things, maybe even weaken my relationship with G-d as I'm more focused on materialism. G-d won't give me something so damaging to me. But maybe as I pray and grow I reach a spiritual point where it's of money won't have those detrimental effects and I may even use that to grow spiritually.
    Each answer at each moment is still G-d's will.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• "Deep down they want to feel special and so thinking they swayed their all powerful god through their love, devotion and prayer makes them all tingly in the nether regions."

Nope. Maybe some do. I'm perfectly aware I can't sway G-d. He's not a tired parent that gives in to my constant whinning just so that I shut up. I don't pray to sway G-d.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 8, 2013