Field Day at school

Does your child's school allow parents to come watch? I just called my daughter's school to ask if the parents are invited and she said that they can't do it. I thought it might be kind of fun to take her younger siblings and sit on the sidelines to watch her play in the games, but, whatever I guess. Just curious if this is the norm.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in

• It depends on what they are doing. They went to the zoo and parents HAD to be there...one parent per child or your child could not go. They went to the bank and parents were not allowed to be there because...well, it was a bank and they don't want it full of students and parents. There are in between things to where there are only a certain number of parents allowed to chaperone because of cost or transportation or just to keep level of chaos down. Now, with that being said, I have many times thought that if it's something that I would really like to see DD enjoying (museum, pioneer fort, etc), I would just go on my own...not like the school can stop me from doing that. LOL
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:29 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• At my DD's, it's only if you volunteer as a chaperon.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:32 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• well, field day is a compilation of competitive games/sports (sack racing, tug of war, three legged races, jump roping contests) that is held at the school. i remember doing it when i was in elementary school. i hated it but then i was not very active as a child... lol but my dd is so i really wanted to go watch :( they are also having bounces houses and stuff.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• yeah, i should've volunteered but then i would've had to find a babysitter for my younger daughters, which would've defeated the purpose. oh well i guess.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• my son's school allows parents to come to all activities. That's crazy that you couldn't be there. Was it outside?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• as far as i know, it is being held outside. i think it is crazy too! they have a birthday lunch every month and allow parents to come for that. i dont see what the difference is.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'm surprised you couldn't be there. I've always volunteered (and gotten a sitter for my younger two), but would switch off turns with another mom so I could go around and make pics of my kids while they were playing. I saw moms there with little ones in strollers and didn't think anything of it.

Answer by missanc at 8:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Our school does allow the parents to come for field day, volunteer or not. In fact, they make it a whole family day. Parents are encouraged to bring a picnic lunch (it's an early release day for K-5) and there is an "art extravaganza" after lunch.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• The parents are actually encouraged to come in years past and watch the kids but IDK about this year after the Sandy Hook/Newtown. tradgedy
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• hmm, i wonder if it has to do with that. its the only valid excuse really. why else wouldnt parents be encouraged to come and support their child?
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Mar. 8, 2013