How well does your 2 1\2 year old talk?

My girl talks quite a bit, she will repeat what ever you tell her to, she counts to ten by herself, but my hubby was freaking out thinking she should be pronouncing all her words better. I think she talks beautifully myself, I am a SAHM of 2 little ones so I cant work on it all day but we work on it quite a bit. I dont like to compare my babies to anyone elses because I understand they are there own people but I am curious how far other kids are in there speech development?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• each kid is different my first spoke very well we had conversations he used very large words (he is also on the spectrum and has a very high IQ which explains alot) my second would only say uhhh and eeaahh and mom and dad, he let his brother speak for him he refused to talk.

My third spoke well at that age but not every word was perfect, honestly they are 2 they are not supposed to have perfect speech, they are supposed to say things like froggy instead of foggy its normal to mis pronounce things. I think your hubby while well intentioned should not worry so much at this stage, if by 4 or 5 its still really bad then have the speech checked but i am willing to bet if you met with a speech therapist right now they would say your child is right on track.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• At this age, you should be able to easily understand 50 to 75 % of what she says. By the time she hits 36 months you should understand 75 to 100% of what she says.

BUT that's YOU. At this age, strangers will understand 25 to 50 % of what she says. At 36 months, that will increase to 50 to 75 %.

Remember, many kids are unable to pronounce all of the sounds in the English language until 6 or even 7. If you are at all concerned though, ask your doctor for an evaluation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:53 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• my DD is 15 months, and is talking at a 3 y/o level (I know this because I had her evaluated). I am also a SAHM, but she is my ONLY child for now, so her and I work on this alot everyday. She is able to hear a word one time and repeat it. Her dad and I are constantly working with her to say "big" words and sometimes she doesnt say them perfect but enough to understand what it is. She has been speaking sentenced for that last three months...things such as "can I have that?" "That is my ..." "Can I go bye bye with uncle" ect.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:56 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• My two and a half yr old (34 mos) doesn't talk well. He repeats everything I say and understands 100% of what I say but his annunciation is terrible. Its just late bloomer status. He didn't even say momma until October of last year. He was already 2.5 by then. Most other people don't have a clue about what hes talking about, but I understand everything. I have to interpret for them. Every kid is different in their annunciation skills and it takes some longer, especially boys, to get it down. Many sounds dont fully develop until 5, 6 or even 7 yrs old. My son started coughing last night and he sounded really stuffy. I said "are you sick"? he said.. yeah. Then my older dd came in to kiss him and he said "I gick" and coughed a little. He was milking it to the fullest but it was funny. He just begins every work with a g or a c. He also has sign langauge he made up to tell me he wants certain things.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Oh and let me add that hes the 4th child. That is a big factor in his speech and other development. My other kids have compensated for him for a very long time. My older daughter spoke sentences at 15 mos. Shes always been advanced.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My son talks extremely well for his age. He is exactly 2 1/2. He says all kinds of words even some that I have no idea where he got them from. He can see scenery for one time and know the next time where we are going - for example the hills at the local lake reminded him that we were going to feed ducks and he sees the building where he gets his hair cut and he will say "haircut." He hears songs on the radio or tv and identifies them and sings along. He knows his ABCs, 123s, and will sing Jesus Loves Me, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and several more.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 8:48 AM on Feb. 16, 2009