Okay many of you have said God is not a Genie. You cannot pray for things. So exactly what does "ask and you shall receive mean"? What is your source for your opinion?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:28 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• You most certainly can ask for things, God wants to hear our deepest desires and wishes. But as we draw closer to God, our desires and wishes should be coming in accordance with His wants, things that will further his kingdom and not our own personal gain.

James 4:3 "You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions"

Answer by missanc at 10:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• That's from the New Testament, which I don't believe in, so I'll have to say it doesn't conflict with my beliefs. Personally, it sounds to me that when you open your heart to ask what you want with humility and love, you immediately receive something.
    A few days ago I took my 6 year old to the doctor because his finger was really infected. The doctor said she was gonna have to clean it and take the pus out, which was gonna be pretty painful- and it was. My son was begging me to make it stop, and as much as my heart was breaking, I couldn't do that. I needed to do what was best for him. So I just held him, gave him my own hand to squeeze, comforted him to the best of my ability and he did calm down. I didn't give him what he wanted, but I gave him what he needed, so he did receive something, even if he couldn't see it at the moment.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think that's more guidance,love,and self realization over "Give me a new car"

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Ha!  I asked this question (worded differently) a few weeks ago.  Basically, since we clearly can't move mountains, no matter how great our faith, this was meant to be taken as allegory or metaphor, even though the wording states very clearly that if there is something you want, you have even a tiny bit of faith, and you pray, you WILL receive what you ask for.  Since our observations  prove that false, it is now interpreted as "you don't really know what you want, but when you decide that what you really want is to be closer to God, and pray for THAT, then you will receive it".  In other words, don't ask for anything you don't already have, or aren't willing to get for yourself.  Then you will get what you pray for.  I'm going to pray for a shower.  Then I'm going to turn on the shower and get in.  Hallelujah!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:43 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It means a lot of starving people with dying children needed to be placated, and that sounded good, so some guy wrote it in a book. My source- every peer reviewed history book published.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• it should say "ask for the things i've already willed for you to get in the future and ask for it in the right way and you will receive."

the source for my opinion is the 20 years i spent in the church, the opinions ive heard from others, and the fact that no matter how many times my brother asked for a new bike and never got one when we were kids haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:16 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• The Bible speaks of asking for wisdom, for a relationship with God, and and those things will come to you.

My baby was born with a congenitally dislocated hip. She had to wear a brace for several weeks, which kept her knees tucked up to her belly in the fetal position. She cried and screamed and struggled, wanting that brace off. I could have taken it off. It was within my power, and I knew she wanted me to do it. But I also knew it wouldn't be best for her in the long run. I couldn't explain that to her because she wouldn't have been able to comprehend. All I could do was hold her and tell her I loved her, and that I knew what would be best for her, and that soon her trial would be over. She understood none of that, and I cried almost as much as she did.

It must be terribly hard to be God at times.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Well from the "every book or religion has a lesson to be learned even when it's not true" view I would say that it is saying not to be afraid to look to others for help or let pride get in the way of asking for that help. (Ask enough and eventually you will find someone willing to assist, Not that "god will help you"). From a historical view I would say it was a way of justifying the class differences and high taxes that lead to starving families and a convenient excuse to avoid consequences for allowing it to happen by saying it was "God's will or if they weren't praying hard enough and God was thus judging them"
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2013