I'm doing a class on dairy products…

I am on the plan team for a local food festival at the end of April. I got roped into doing a class on dairy products. It's a DIY (do it yourself) class. It's 75 minutes, although I'm sure it can go longer, but depending on when in the schedule I may have another program going afterwards.

What would you want to learn? How to make butter? Mozzarella? Would you want to know the differences in organic milk vs. non-organic (aside from $1.50/gallon.) I'm just trying to figure it all out.

Thanks!

balagan_imma

Asked by balagan_imma at 10:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I would want to know how to make some kind of cheese if the time frame allows. Learning how to make butter sounds good.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• How butter,sour cream,and cottage cheese were made

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• wanted to add, that discussing different things to incorporate into the butter and it's different applications would also be interesting. Like truffle butter and interesting ways to use that in cooking.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• How it is all made and how long does it take.
    Also what is the difference organic or non organic
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'd think making butter, mozzarella, and ricotta (from the leftover whey) would be a very cool use of the time.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:41 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I would love to learn how to make mozzarella, ricotta and Greek yogurt
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:13 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think making mozzarrella would be a fun demo/ hands on
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• How to make cheese, yogurt or several ice cream recipes.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I would definitely want to know the differences between organic and regular milk, besides price, and if organic also means hormone fre.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:48 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Thank you ladies, for all of the comments. I had forgotten about yogurt and ice cream.

Unfortunately, yogurt, ice cream and cottage cheese take longer than time will allow. They are super easy to do. And making Greek style yogurt is basically the same as regular yogurt, but you drain more of the liquid allowing it to become thicker. I can post a website tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Organic and conventional milks can be hormone free. Organic has to be hormone and antibiotic free. There are huge differences in organic milks too. Some companies are barely worth the money. And the actual best milk you can get is raw, from a trusted farmer, but that is illegal in the US. You can get around it but that is super expensive.

I did get an email from one of the staffers offering to introduce me to someone who can help me even more.
    balagan_imma

Comment by balagan_imma (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Mar. 9, 2013