I have had 6 year tell me that there is no God. She said she prayed for food because she and her mom were hungry and nothing happened. What would you say to her?

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I would tell the child that we are meant to be the hands and feet of God, Jesus with skin on, and that I was sorry she hadn't yet gotten what she needed. I would buy what food and clothing I could, and try to get the mother hooked up with all appropriate community resources.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Honestly, since it's not your place to influence another mom's kid's religious views, I would probably sidestep the "god" thing and tell her that people have to help each other out. Then I would probably buy her a bag of groceries and talk to her mother about what sort of help is available in the community.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:35 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• In reality, I wouldn't say anything to her regarding religious beliefs, but see if I could help her and her mother get in touch with the limited resources available in this land of plenty.

Although in my mind, I'd be thinking a number of responses:

1) Clearly, child, you don't believe enough.

2) There are millions of starving children all over the world who are also praying for nutrition.  Why should God treat you any differently?

3) Perhaps God was influencing a basketball tournament, and didn't hear your prayer.  Try again later.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• 4) It could also be that God wants you in heaven, and he's allowing you to starve to death so he can have another angel.

5) God likes to be praised. Maybe you should start by showing God that you're thankful for all he's given you and quit whining about being hungry.

6) God was needed in surgery to help the incompetent doctors save the life of a real believer.

7) God was too busy creating hurricanes to punish gays to be worried about starving children.

jsbenkert

• 8) God, like Mother Teresa, believes that there's something noble in suffering and he's trying to build your character.

9) You're too much of a sinner to be worthy of God's attention. Clean up your act and repent.

10) You're asking the wrong god.

11) God did listen to you! He said, "no."

12)God did listen to you! He sent you to me to find resources for you. Oh, ye of little faith, remember that God works in mysterious ways!

jsbenkert

• Was her Mom given information to apply for food stamps or referred to the food banks in the area?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I wouldn't bring up God, I'd help out that poor child.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:37 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I would tell her that shes right, then i would buy them food & leave it on her doorstep.I make no apologies for saying that either
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:53 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It's not my place to tell her anything. I may be Atheist but I will not tell another persons child that a god isnt real. I dont talk to my children about it. That is their dads job since he was a belief. I would help her and her mother get food and find resources o how to get food for the future.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It boggles my mind what some people will say to justify their god ignoring the pleas of a small, hungry child. Yet sing him praises at their "blessings" of a good paycheck.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2013