Dh's finger nails .. pic included

Hi all

Not sure where to ask this.

My DH has always bitten his finger nails, but just lately he has tried his best not to.  They grow oddly.  They sort of grow over his fingers rather than outwards.  The pic will show you.

My question is do you think it is because of his nail biting for years?

Can we do anything to encourage them to grow straight?

Many thanks

san78

Asked by san78 at 10:39 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• My husband's toenails do that and he's never bitten them, lol. I think it's genetic. The key is going to be to keep them clipped short.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I found this.  But now after looking at pics of all of those nails, I kinda want to throw up a little.

Nail clubbing

Nail clubbing occurs when the tips of the fingers enlarge and the nails curve around the fingertips, usually over the course of years. Nail clubbing is sometimes the result of low oxygen in the blood and could be a sign of various types of lung disease. Nail clubbing is also associated with inflammatory bowel disease, cardiovascular disease, liver disease and AIDS.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nails/WO00055&slide=3

ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:45 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think it's just genetic. I don't think it has anything to do with nail biting.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• That was my thought process too,Beaverhausen

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• it has nothing to do with biting them. ive bitten mine for over 20 years and mine dont grow like that. DD's toes grow in that way.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2013