A woman I work with seems in need..

An older lady I work with isn't in the best shape to start off with - she lugs around an oxygen tank and has a bad limp. She needs the job, and my boss doesn't have the heart to let her go. She has two older autistic sons 17 & 20 that are extremely hyper, a husband with numerous health problems that is in & out of the hospital. They're extremely poor and basically live off Top Ramen.
I would really like to get some food together for them, without offending them or embarrassing them. I'm not sure how to go about this. Not sure where to post... Any ideas are appreciated.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 11:03 AM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Food & Drink

• if you know how home address, I would send her a greeting card anonymously with a gift card to one of less expensive grocery stores in the area.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I would suggest the knock and run. Leave the box and run. with the mormon ward I used to go to we did it all of the time. It was a good thing and no one had to be shamed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• A gift card to a cheap grocery store put in the mail is wonderful. No one knows where it came from and it puts no pressure on anyone at work. I'd be willing to guess that a food collection at work for a co-worker would be easy to figure out who it is going to and might make her feel bad.

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:56 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• You could do a food drive at your work and say it is for a needed family at work but do not disclose who it is and after a week or two you be there one to secretly take it to her that way no one knows who it is but maybe just leave it at her door step so she doesn't know who delivered it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• If you know where she lives
    put a box of food on her door step and ring the door bell and get out of sight.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:30 AM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think the gift card is a great idea. I bought a 500 dollar gift card to HEB when my brother in law was laid off and I had the manager call my sister and tell her she won it. They were happy to do it. And my sister got peace of mind with no embarrassment .
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• If I were trying to avoid any uncomfortable encounters I would probably go with virginia's suggestion.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:19 AM on Mar. 8, 2013