Just wondering your thoughts....

http://news.yahoo.com/where-honest-atheists-063200446.html

I was reading this and just wondered what others thought about it.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 12:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• This nothingness makes me wonder why you would live a "good" life and not a life that you do whatever you want legal or not.

Because it's the right thing to do. This is why atheists harp again & again that morality is not derived from religion. Atheists live a good life because it's what they should do. You should be good to others & follow laws. They do it, not b/c they fear a bad, or want a good afterlife but, because it's what's best for the here & now.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

What "nothingness"?  We live on through those who knew us and loved us.  Today is my grandmother's birthday.  She's been dead for nearly twenty years, now, but when I think of her, I recall her humor, her loving nature, her laugh, and the abundance of love I felt from her.  When I die, I hope to live on the same way - that those I loved will remember me as loving, kind and full of humor.  I have plenty of incentive to do the right thing, and none involves a believe in an afterlife or rewards or punishments from some invisible god.  I do the right thing because it's what makes life most harmonious, and it's the legacy I hope to leave.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• "If atheism is true, it is far from being good news. (If atheism is true it is neither good news NOR bad news it is simply a state of life. What YOUR perspective is is what makes the news good or bad. And that is dependant upon the individual. A negative individual will see only the negative, much like the author. A positive individual will see room for understanding and growth. Learning that we're alone in the universe,We dont' know that we are alone in the universe and odds are we aren't we just have not derived the technology to detect other life. What that other life is may vary as well it may likely simply be a microorganism which we cannot communicate with. It does not mean we are "alone" However I think the author is talking of lonliness not aloneness. Lonliness is an emotion and again is dependant upon the individual.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• "If atheism is true, it is far from being good news. Learning that we're alone in the universe, that no one hears or answers our prayers, that humanity is entirely the product of random events, that we have no more intrinsic dignity than non-human and even non-animate clumps of matter, that we face certain annihilation in death, that our sufferings are ultimately pointless, that our lives and loves do not at all matter in a larger sense,."

- Kristi pretty much went over all that bit by bit - I  don't see it the way this has been put in the article.  I think that we just have entirely different views of the world and why we are here and whatnot.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• " that those who commit horrific evils and elude human punishment get away with their crimes scot free — all of this (and much more) is utterly tragic"

How is it any worse for us to see it that way, than for a person who believes in God to accept the fact that if he is the creator, he created ALL of this. EVERYTHING. The good, the bad and the ugly. How can you accept that? I mean honestly, it's mind boggling that THAT'S okay...

*so irritated, had to do this 3 times due to CM only letting us put so much in one response! UGH
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Is there more to it than just the question?  I clicked on the link, and all I saw was, "Where are the honest atheists?" with comments below.  Is there an article that just didn't load?

Anyway, to answer the question as I saw it posted, we are everywhere.  There is nothing inherently dishonest about being an atheist, and many of us ARE atheist because we're sick of what we see as the lies of religion.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I agree with most of the comments on the article - the author needs to get their day job back. Bad writing doesn't sell a point, but it suggests that the point the author is trying to be made is so flawed it cannot be expressed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• So it's an article trying to sell that "honest atheists' will say "The world is better believing in a god" but that's not honesty. It's flawed logic. Taking the excerpt that 3 libras copied I'll explain.....

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

So because you can't comprehend why someone would be good without a supernatural being threatening them to behave then there's no reason WHATSOEVER that a person can be good without "god" in their lives?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Kristi: I'm really not trying to cause a fight or anything but rather to understand.

What's so hard to understand about "People are good without God"?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2013