How did you decide your decor for your home?

We are redoing the kitchen in our home. We are replacing the countertops and the floor and we were thinking of painting our cupboards.
I do not know how to begin.
Should we pick out the flooring first, or the countertops?
Anyone with tips, ideas?
Thanks

tambam75

Asked by tambam75 at 12:06 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I always start with one thing like a color or a pattern and then I decorate everything from around that. In your case, I say pick the countertop first. There is way more flooring to choose from than countertops. Go with something neutral or even granite and then pick the floor that compliments it. You can even go with laminate or hardwoods on the floor and that will match anything. Good luck to you and your project.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think you should choose to work around the color(s) you select for your cupboards or countertops, and go from there! Reason being, the cupboards and countertops are the first things people notice when entering the kitchen. You'll be looking at them everyday--all day--so you should like the colors!

Also, if you're like me and have every room painted/coordinated in a different color scheme, you will want the "flow" into the kitchen to be complimentary to your other rooms--so I would chose a neutral backdrop of color--in the tan/brown/black, and then "brighten" it up with splashes of color in window treatments, decorative cannisters, place mats, chair cushions, perhaps some stenciled accents on the cupboards, etc! The nice thing about picking a neutral backdrop is you can easily change out colorful accessories at whim!

Granite counters, tile flooring and stainless steel appliances are timeless pieces worth the investment!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I started with my living room, entryway and hallway first. I like the "Morrocan" or mideast flavor in decorating. I had a large "L-shaped" navy blue couch. I painted the one wal l alongside of it, a very light tinted peach color. I then hung up several red and black hanging "morrocan lamps."
    I ordered some gorgeous and inexpensive couch pillow covers that were very bright, eye-catching and lovely for the couch. I must have had ten or twelve pillows on the couch. Some of the pillow covers were plain colors,like orange, yellow, red-I interspersed them with the sparkling bejeweled looking pillows! Then, I ordered, (again, great deals off of Ebay!) two very beautiful an elaborate wall hangings, made by hand. Each had colors that complemented the color scheme of my living room. (But I did end up hanging one in the Master bedroom). Would have been "too much" to have them both in our living room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm in school for interior decorating, and i've been taught to start with the floor up. Work with a color scheme, kitchens are pretty well with analogus color schemes and accent colors to bring out the new counter tops and blend so the eye is focused on main point. The directions the window faces are also important depending on whether or not you want a cool or warm kitchen, and the mood of the room. Then it's easier to choose the curtains or whatever you want for window treatments
    kittie1919104

Answer by kittie1919104 at 10:36 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Thanks you all for you advice.
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 1:42 AM on Feb. 17, 2009